brown dust of porus from fungi growth

Can any one help to identify this? I have some fresh mulch put around a tree in the front yard and few days before I saw a yellow layer of fungus groth on top of the mulch about the 3x3 inch size. I was thinking of scooping that and thowing out in grabage, but got bussy with other stuff and forgot this. Today when watering my lawn, I noticed brown dust of porus raising when the water droplet hit the same place where I saw the fungus the other day. Its so dark brown and dont know exactly what it is and does it cause any damage to my lawn or grass or pet if not taken care of. What is the best way to get rid of this? I am thinking of sprinking baking soda over it to kill the porus, if that helps.

Appreciate any help

Thank you

Reply to
dualboot

It is breaking down organic material to make it more accessible to your plants. It's a good deal.

Reply to
Billy

The brown powder are the fungi spores (how it reproduces), that particular fungi can be good or bad, it's a crapshoot... if it reappears have it identified, albeit it's kinda too late now, whatever it is you got it, forever. This is the usual result of indescriminately bringing organic matter to ones property.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Sounds like slime mold (not a fungus). Doesn't hurt anything, just unsightly. I suppose you could just hose it off. I very doubt baking soda would do anything other than add salt to your soil as well as change its pH.

Reply to
Nelly Wensdow

Look up "Witches Butter" pretty cool stuff.

Reply to
beecrofter

I've never seen them growing on mulch, but if they ever did they would probably be very sparse, small, and not very noticable. Also, their spores are white to light yellowish.

Reply to
Nelly Wensdow

Here in coastal CT the extension center gets numerous inquiries about bright yellow "dog puke" on the mulch before it turns tan and then brown and sporolating. A pretty common occurance, patches about half a sq ft.

Reply to
beecrofter

Here in coastal CT the extension center gets numerous inquiries about bright yellow "dog puke" on the mulch before it turns tan and then brown and sporolating. A pretty common occurance, patches about half a sq ft.

------------- I was considering that one, although one source says its spore mass is black. Although spores can sometimes be a different color than their mass (especially while wafting through the air), and there are other yellow slime molds too, but I haven't studied many of them.

Reply to
Nelly Wensdow

I have something similar in the yard. A yellowish custard kind of things (2), and they look like they are on rocks, not wood.??!

Reply to
Billy

Reply to
Nelly Wensdow