bloodleaf is wilting -- contradictory advice

Hello,

For all of the following you may safely assume that I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!!! Feel free to use very basic terms.

I have a bloodleaf, potted outdoors. It looks a lot like the picture at

is beginning to turn yellow in some leaves. Why?

Here's the confusing part: People tell me that the problem is:

  • too much water
  • too little water
  • too much fertilizer
  • too little fertilizer
  • it's an annual and it's going to die, regardless.
  • it's a perennial and can live if I bring it indoors.

Obviously, I've gotten advice from people who don't know the answers.

I live in Madison, Wisconsin, USA. So far the weather has been cooling but it's been safely above freezing.

Of course, if you could look at the plant, you could tell me with better certainty. But what's your guess?

All reasonable suggestions will be appreciated.

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
Ted Shoemaker

It's probably Iresine lindenii, a tender (subtropical) perennial grown as an annual. Will not tolerate freezing temperatures, but you can bring it in and grow it as a houseplant over winter, much like you can coleus. Very easy to grow from cuttings.

Both too much water and too little water can produce similar symptoms, but yellowing or dropping of lower leaves is generally associated with overwatering. During the growing season, it would appreciate monthly fertiizing with a dilute liquid fertilizer, but I'd cut back on any fertilizing now and if you bring it indoors to overwinter, water only when the soil appears dry.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal