Blackbird problem

Over the years, we have done everything possible to encourage smal

birds into our garden with suitable plants for cover and nesting and w have been rewarded with ever increasing numbers.

This year, for the first time we have had a problem with blackbird digging up patio planters. They started doing it when the planters wer fairly bare but have continued to do it now that they are fully planted causing smaller plants to be uprooted. It is blackbirds - we hav watched them doing it!

We have tried proprietary sprays that are supposed to discourage bird with no effect. We have tried some physical barriers (mesh/spikes) bu they tend not to be too attractive in planters.

Any suggestions welcome. We do not want to clear birds from our garden we just want to prevent them disturbing plants and causing mess (th earth gets scattered everywhere out of the planters). Anyone kno anything that works and is available in the UK

-- ken1956

Reply to
ken1956

I would try fitting some chicken wire over the planters. It will only look bad for a short time. Eventually the plants will cover it.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Why does it always have to be the black birds?

Reply to
GIT-R-DONE

Try planting some catnip in each planter . When the cat's become annoying you can remove it.

Reply to
bamboo

Nylon netting or bird mesh, just for as long as it takes for the birdies to find somewhere else to dig -- shouldn't take more than a week or so. Tho, I am wondering what they're digging for???? Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Reply to
Suzy O