Best Time to Transplant?

I would like to transplant a few plants that didn't quite seem to like their spot this season, including a butterfly bush and a salivia or two. When should I transplant them? Now, so they can develop a root system over the winter, or in the spring?

If now, should I cut the butterfly bush all the way back?

I'm in Zone 9 where we typically don't dip down to freezing until January or so.

-F

Reply to
Fleemo

In your climate, you can transplant now without worry. I'm not quite as balmy as you, but I find winter to be a premier planting/transplanting time in our milder areas - most of my serious gardening chores get done in winter :-)) Wait until see you new shoots develop on the butterfly bush before you cut it back hard.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

I second Pam. In my zone 8, when transplanting in autumn & winter, plants can usually be pretty much ignored the rest of winter, & will already be well settled in by spring, having experienced minimum shock. By comparison, the "usual" transplanting period throughout spring usually requires more attention to make sure a shocked transplanted item doesn't dry out before its roots are resettled, or completely get baked when summer arrives and the roots are STILL not extensive enough to keep it healthy during a heatwave. It's also just a good time to be planting new woody shrubs period, if only the selection from nurseries were better this time of year.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

You can do it now, but be sure to water the salivia well

Reply to
dps

Right! that's so it can produce more saliva.... LOL

Emilie

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

Doh! I meant SALVIA. Silly me.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Gonna do me some Thanksgiving plantin'.

-Fleemo

Reply to
Fleemo

When you give us an opening like that we run with it.

Reply to
dps