Barbecued Squirrel

-snip-

NY here-- We ate them in spaghetti sauce mostly. [never ate the brains, though]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

The message from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

Course not, we can't drive trucks up trees. We were just flossing our teeth with that thin stuff from under the bonnet.

S. Nutkin.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

Now there's a racial diatribe!

My best friends are darkies too!

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

The message from "madgardener" contains these words:

Good post, Marilyn.

It's astonishing, and sad, to watch Paghat following Cereoid's downhill route from respect to self-inflicted ignominy.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

Maddie, according to Cole's Quoteables the following is attributed to Chief Seattle.

"Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web he does to himself."

The way I read it Hallmark did not change the essence of what the Chief said. I believe Hallmark would have been guilty of plagiarism had they not credited Chief Seattle.

zennie

Reply to
zhanataya

well, I appreciate that Zennie. I hate that I sometimes don't see everything that is posted here, but my life has gotten away from me lately. (as you probably understand). My lashing out at Paghat last night was a culmination of her words that I took were aimed at me, and I realize that when she thought I hadn't cared enough to stop misquoting Chief Sealth, since I had kept it up. Well, if she posted something about it earlier, I never read it. Ignorance of the obviously stated sometimes is valid.

I don't like to argue, and I will lose when it comes to intelligent facts. I am NOT college educated and only self taught and I am seriously lacking in a lot of things. My ignorance has been spotted many, many times on this newsgroup, and I hope that I learn from the experiences rather than becoming defensive.

I hate being thought of as prejudiced because the tones of my words aren't heard. And if I come across to some people as bigoted, or a racial diatribe, or contradictory, then I've failed at my attempts to communicate.

If I over reacted, it wouldn't be the first time. But lately, with everything else, I just get tired and I see that I reacted kind of backed to the wall with what Paggers had to say to me. I know in most cases that she researches out her facts, and she's quite knowledgable, but also tends to shove things at you. I shouldn't have gone off like I did. And she probably wasn't attacking me personally. I went in and blocked her posts on my tools option last night and it deleted all sorts of responses from her when I did. Now I regret that action, and despite that I told her I'd not confront her again, (something I'm sure won't keep her up at night with worry ) I still hate that I acted out of frustration.

I'm learning lately that I need to be quite and keep my opinions to myself, including my rambles and updates on life here in Fairy Holler. I also have a bit of writers block along with being overwhelmed at home again. Such is my life and I'm just rolling with it. As usual. Only now I'm older and it's not always that easy to bounce back.

Enough of that, I'm absolutely delighted to see your post and wonder, are you still in Pensacola or have you dragged your hubby southwest yet since the devistating hurricane? Just seeing the receipt from your opened message I sent a week or so ago helped me sleep better knowing you were still out there somewhere. I figured I'd hear from you when I lost Rose, but I also know you have a life too.

I hope all is well, and maybe sometime when I call, I'll get your sweet voice on the phone instead of Bill's

(((much love and hugs))) Maddie (who now has another dog, Smeagle to keep Sugar occupied now.......thanks to the plotting of the males in her house)

Reply to
madgardener

Perhaps Paghat thinks that one speech is the only thing noteworthy the chief ever said.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Perhaps anyone with a brain belatedly linformed who actually wrote that Baptist screed wouldn't try so damned hard to believe fire is a liquid, the moon is made of green cheese, & Chief Sealth lived long enough to give a Sothern Baptist sermon in 1972. Silly child.

-paggers

Reply to
paghat

There are many ways of getting an education besides sitting in class and grinding out the hours. I'll take your education over many others any day. I also know part of your tounge was in your cheek when your wrote that. But I doubt the person it was intended for caught it.

After Ivan visited my neighborhood I've spent 8 weeks swimming back to shore. Got a post card from some people on the south Texas gulf thanking me for the house. They've put pontoons under it and plan to use it for vacations. So Bill and I have decided to become wandering snowbirds. It's not like we have to do much packing. We bought a small place in central Florida and another retirement place in New Mexico. I love it but it will take a little getting used to, a 20 minute ride to get a loaf of bread.

Bill as you know retired in February and I retired (again) the 2nd of October, so yes now we finally have a life.

I'm very sorry about Rose. Bill told me but I couldn't find the words that would be of any comfort. So coward that I am I avoided it by not calling.

Send me some winter pictures of your garden.

zennie

Reply to
zhanataya

Perhaps. Another one of his I like.

"There is no death. Only a changing of worlds."

zennie

Reply to
zhanataya

zxcvbob expounded:

No, the ratgirl has taken one side of a debate. See this page for lots of Chief Seattle discussion:

Ann

and THAT was AWESOME! Thanks Ann (I see that Paggers did quite a bit of her homework in the education towards the correction.) and to clarify this once and for all.......I never read her first approach towards me or the signature at the end of my posts she said she posted over a month ago. I'm big enough to say that I apologize for thinking Paghat was putting me in my place. I never mind correction if done in a considerate manner. I am never opposed to learning and it won't be the last time I get something wrong. Now lets all let this settle in the mud, think about spring bulbs and thanksgiving meals with family and gather around the fire pits and Chimnea's and campfires and garden nooks and quietly and passionately slip into our winter mumblings. Already I dream of the new growing season even as I find Oriental POPPY leaf fronds poking up in the soil MONTHS too SOON!! arghhhh!!! Now I have to look for some bags of leaves alongside the road somewhere to snitch from the garbage men to mulch my babies until true spring! madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

"madgardener" expounded:

Not to worry about those poppies, Maddy, mine always poke their heads up in the fall, and around here it gets a lot colder than Tenn! I haven't even raked my front lawn due to the septic install, and this weekend we're going north, so they'll sit there til after Thanksgiving at this rate.

Reply to
Ann