Banana plant that bears fruit

Hello:

I live in Vancouver, B.C. (Zone 8b). I want to grow a banana plant outdoors in my backyard that bears fruit.

Can you give me some suggestions for what variety of banana plant I should buy?

Thanks!!

Reply to
movul

I think you are S O L.

Reply to
Travis M.

this book might help.

Charles

Banana's are biennial, meaning they bloom the second year and set fruit. However, you will never have enough heat or light up there in Vancouver to stimulate a flower to set fruit.

Down here in Austin, TX I grow bananas, they flower after being in the ground two seasons and the second season is when they produce. You just don't have the conditions and if you did get them to fruit, it would be woody and horrible.

Reply to
Jangchub

know that our domes up here in Wisconsin have a huge banana with fruit in various stages of ripeness on it. I have a fig "grove" that summers and fruits outside and is then brought into a heated garage for winter. So my feeling is give it a try, look for dwarf varieties. all my container fruits need nearly daily watering. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

Years ago there was a blurb on BCTV newshour about a fellow in East Van who managed to get somes Banana plants to fruit. Weren't edible and were small.

Reply to
Bryan