Allotment Bird and Cat Netting

I've been having trouble with birds and cats getting on to my allotment and spoiling my fruits and vegetables. I am looking at getting some netting to put over my plants but was not sure what hole size would be best to stop birds and cats. If anyone could advise me that would be great.

Thanks.

Reply to
rmacdonald

.410 gauge

nb

Reply to
notbob

As with most problems, this is the worst answer, unless you want to spend more time down at the local nick. It is an easy answer though for the lazy, and simple minded.

Reply to
Billy

Reply to
Fran

...yet apparently painful to those devoid of any humor.

nb

Reply to
notbob

The synthetic fibre (polypropylene ??) netting used on orchards, grape vines etc to exclude birds ought to keep out cats too. The mesh is about 2-2.5cm. This will be cheaper than wire mesh and easier to erect. You should be able to get it at any garden shop.

It won't exclude frugivorous beasties with sharp teeth like possums, which will chew through almost anything to get to a ripe peach. I am guessing the cats are not eating your fruit but causing other nuisance that they will probably do elsewhere rather than chew through a net.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

A weapon is humor? Get help.

Reply to
Billy

I don't need help. I have a weapon. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Thanks for all the replies. I've managed to get some netting that seems to be doing the trick so far.

Reply to
rmacdonald