aging wood chips

Hello, I used a stump grinder to remove several stumps in my yard. I have a nice pile of the shavings I would like to use as a mulch for my flower beds. I need to know how long I should let the pile set before it is safe to use. The pile is 6 feet in diameter by 4 feet high. thanks Bill

Reply to
billQ

You can use it now if you'll throw a bit of high nitrogen fertilizer on it. Wood chips only "rob" nitrogen out of the very top layer of the soil as they decompose, and when they are fully decomposed, that N becomes available again to the plants. In the mean time, some cheap lawn fertilizer sprinkled over the top every now and then will keep things nice and green.

Reply to
Sunflower

Wet them down, if they don't heat up or smell very resiny go ahead and use them. If they heat you can use them a few inches deep, if they smell resiny or piney let them age a while.

Reply to
Beecrofter