African Violet Question

Anyone know what a dandruffy-white looking powder on an African Violet would be caused by?

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick

Mealy bugs perhaps?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.

Mildew would be my guess. Did you wet the leaf while watering the plant? or is it in a too humid area?

Giselle

Reply to
Volfie

Look under magnification. It may be mealy bug.

Reply to
Phisherman

Go tell Giselle.

Actually, mealy bugs are active at night. That's when the creepy crawlers are moving around!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus.

Huh? Tell me what? I'm sticking with powdery mildew. Mealy bugs have a webbing at the leaf/stem joint and are usually underneath, not "dandruff" on top of a leaf.

Giselle (and it is treated by brushing the leaves with sulfur that you buy at the drugstore, btw)

Reply to
Volfie

What webbing?

You must be confusing Mealies with spider mites. They are not the same at all.

You shouldn't be huffing "head and shoulders". That stuff will rot your brain.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.

Aren't mealy bugs covered in a white cottony camouflage? THAT "webbing". If you touch it with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol, the webbing/cotton disappears and you see the bug inside.

No, I'm not.

You don't say?

Was that an attempt at humor?

Giselle (oh)

Reply to
Volfie

Oh, Giselle. Try to lighten up a bit. Get that giant mealy bug out of your posterior!! Or were you bitten by a dyspeptic spider mite?

Yeah sure that mealy covering is really effective camouflage, isn't it. If it wasn't for that, you wouldn't have noticed the little bugger. More likely it is intended to make them less appetizing to predators.

The alcohol; trick doesn't work very well. Its best to kill them with a real insecticide.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.