Advice needed: Thai chili plants and their peppers stopped growing

Hi. I'm having a very odd experience with Thai bird chili plants I'm growing right now.

I've successfully grown them in the past in the ground; this is the first time I've tried growing them in containers. The plants look great -- very healthy. But they've stopped growing entirely, like they've hit some kind of wall; the ones I've grown in the ground in the past never did that. Well, OK, maybe that's because they're producing a lot of peppers -- many more than did the previous plants I've grown -- and since I've let them go the plant is putting all its efforts into growing peppers. But the other thing that's odd (and the reason why I've let the peppers just grow) is that the peppers themselves have stopped growing. They're 1/3 the length, and slightly fatter, than the Thai chilis I've grown in the past. It's as if the plant went into suspended animation, with nothing -- including the peppers themselves -- growing beyond a certain point.

I would almost think I've got the wrong plants except I bought started plants at two different places, one of which I've bought them from in past years, and they're both the same.

Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks.

-c

Reply to
Chris Metzler

"Chris Metzler" wrote in message news:5OudnXObRs9epQ7bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net...

Although lack of nutrients *could* be the issue, I'd be more inclined to blame the fact that they're growing in containers. The soil temperature is the same as the air temperature. Many plants don't do well that way. Although it's not a great solution in all cases, shading the pots may help.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hi. Both you and JoeSpareBedroom made effectively the same recommendation, so that's what I'm trying, thanks. Re: fish emulsion, I'm presuming that's to add nutrients? I've never had to do that before, but then again I've never grown them in containers before. Do you have any advice about how to go about doing that, or pages I can read about it, or anything like that? Thanks.

-c

Reply to
Chris Metzler

Can you get to a library? You're asking people to write a book for you, but that's already been done.

As far as the fish emulsion, it *is* for nutrients. The stuff's a bit smelly, though, and on a few occasions, I've had container plants near sitting areas and they weren't pleasant to be near. The smell disappears after a day or two, and some people don't even notice it. If you find it bothersome, dilute with more water than recommended in the instructions.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sorry, I didn't mean to ask for that much info -- hence the request for web suggestions, if anyone had them. Anyway, thanks much.

-c

Reply to
Chris Metzler