Lucky bamboo stopped growing

I purchased 6" stick of lucky bamboo stick last summer. It had a

1/2" sprout coming out of the top side. Per instructions, I have been changing the water (using rain water) every two weeks and keeping it in bright light, no sun. I have it growing in a glass jar, half filled with gravel with temperatures around 65-70. The top quickly grew new green leaves, but now it has stopped growing. I went back to the dealer, and he said "they behave that way." I asked if potting it in soil would help make it grow, and he said that it would die if I did that because it needs constant moisture. Anyone know how to grow a large lucky bamboo? And, how do some grow in spiral shapes?
Reply to
Phisherman

I have three lucky bamboos which have grown huge (1-2' )per year through the method of just watering them once in a while lik everything else! I think that changing out the water is disruptive t the root system, and removes nutrients unnecessarily. Try just leavin it alone--and wet. The curly ones, by the way, are trained that wa from tiny shoot stage. Hope this helps... Kathi

- Kathi Kat ~=^..^=

----------------------------------------------------------------------- posted via

Kathie

Hi Kathie, Do you grow your Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana) in pebbles, plain water, or soil? I have other Dracaenas, but each has different care. I guess changing the water out is recommended to keep the water from getting sour, but the water change does disrupt the roots a little a little. I used Shultz (7 drops per qt) but at 1/4 the strength for two months but there was no noticeable change in growth. If I move the plant 2 feet, it will get brief morning sun, but the dealer told me "no sun." I find it hard to believe that it would die if planted in potting soil. Does anyone have Dracaena sanderiana growing well in a (sandy) potting mix? Under fluorescent lights?

Reply to
Phisherman

That is a sure omen of impending doom!!!

Your demise is eminent!!

That's no great loss since you are just some nobody from nowhere.

What do you care how they spiral? You won't be around long enough to try it yourself!!

Be sure to stay away from severe weather, crowds, airports and men with hats!!

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

Maybe imminent as well

Reply to
Charles

LOL!

Reply to
Phisherman

Don't try to sugar coat it, Phish is doomed as doomed can be!!!

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

On a field site assignment, we were lectured by an AF official on Norwegian driving rules (they're *very* strict about DUI). He also warned us to beware of drivers wearing hats, who tended to be older and baffled by new traffic circles.They sort of tended to stop and consider the prospects before moving on. "beware of those in hats" is sound advice. :-)

Reply to
Frogleg

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Maybe some of the meaner neighborhood bamboos came by and told it that it wasn't a real bamboo and now it's sad. In this case the proper treatment is to read it a fairy tale until it gets better. May I suggest the "Ugly Duckling"?

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Hmmmm... That sounds a bit like the advice, "Beware of the woman who lives on the hill, for she is not on the level!"

John

Reply to
B & J

Ripped off of gardenwebs bamboo forum

"Feng This!

You can set the bar of taste in your own immediate vicinity by first denying to lay plastic to cash register over any green twisty branch of that damnable plant currently known as "Lucky Bamboo." Of the genus Dracaena, this stretch of leaf is less related to the bamboo family than you are to the House of Lords, actually being a parlor plant previously favored by the Victorians because it requires a meteor hitting the earth in order to fully kill it.

Hyped as a feng shui method of both greening one's home (moneymoneymoney!) and helping to release stagnant energies, this living stalk of hooey-hooey is indeed lucky to those who sell great big buckets full of the stuff. Less lucky is the likelihood that it will curl about in a milky vase until the fluoride in your drinking water eventually browns it to a mush. This is your fine holiday legacy? We think not."

The original article appears on a website called "Metroactive" link below

Beecrofter

I was in China in December- (Beijing and Baotou,innermongolia). This lucky bamboo is in every restaurant as the typical most common 'decorative plant'. These plants are as common as the "golden Pothos" in the US. All sorts of shapes are "WOVEN" with the stems. Mostly these stalk bottoms are in shallow water. They are placed in all sorts of lighting conditions. I am sure that these plants are sold here (US) for a some 1000% profit margin.

Reply to
VV

You can cut a stalk in two and put both pieces in water and get two plants, with the leafy piece growing roots and the rooty piece sending out a shoot. This takes some time to occur.

To the original poster, I've found that these plants grow very slowly.

Reply to
Skirmishd