My bamboo is dying!

Hello,

I have three bamboo stalks. I don't know plant language at all but they are the curly kind - the stalks are like bright green spirals. They are about 40 cm tall. I keep them in a glass of water. For a couple of years now, they have been perfectly happy, but suddenly one of the bamboos is dying. About 7 cm of the top part of the spiral stalk has turned bright yellow during the past couple of days. It could have something to do with the fact that the building is being painted and there are probably some fumes in the air. I don't know. It could also have something to do with the fact that the 15 cm tall vase it stands in is filled to the top with water, and I think I used to fill it only half way. What am I do to? I want to save it before it dies. Someone suggested that I cut of the dying part at the top and wax the tip. Please could someone advise me. Thanks so much! Nisse

Reply to
Nisse

Are they supposed to grow in water, or be transplanted to soil?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

What you have is not bamboo it is a dracena.

Reply to
Travis M.

your description, it's not really a bamboo, it's Dracaena sanderiana. Anyway this site may help.

Reply to
Charles

They supposed to grow in water. Never in soil. I understand now from the website that the water wasn't pure enough. So, I've taken care of that. The question now is if I should cut off the yellow rotting part.

Nisse

Reply to
motherslakshmi

First of all, this is probably not a true bamboo plant. Those curly guys, often sold as "Lucky Bamboo" are actually a type of dracena, a rather common house plant.

As far as the top of one turning yellow, it's probably not fumes from the painting, as I'd expect all three stalks to be affected. Before proposing other possibilities, I'm wondering why you used to fill the vase 1/2 way and now fill it to the top?

Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Reply to
RR

I saw the thread title and immediately thought, "Aren't you lucky!" I sure wish mine would die.

Reply to
Robert