A questionnaire for beekeepers
If you are a beekeeper, or thinking of becoming one, or you can answe
some of these questions on behalf of a beekeeper, I would very muc
appreciate your replies.
I’m a little hesitant to say why I’ve created this questionnaire, bu
I’d consider it a bit rude not to. I’m a product design student and I’
working on a new hive design. I’m hesitant because many beekeepers hav
said to me ‘we don’t need a new design, what we have is fine.’ And hav
told me I’m wasting my time. I wish more people thought like that abou
such things as motor cars, mobile phones, and fitted kitchens, we’d b
a lot better off. My thinking is that with the problems of CCD, if
could get a few more people interested in beekeeping with a ‘flashy
hive design it probably wouldn’t be a bad thing.
Ok, sorry, rant over, please answer as many questions as you can. Al
other comments are welcomed. Thankyou.
1. Are you a)male or b)female?
2. What is your age? a)20 b)20-30 c)30-40 d)40-50 e)50-60
3. Where do you live? a)Urban area b)Rural area c)Semi-rura
4. Where do you keep your hives? a)Orchard b)Private Garden c)Roo
garden d)Shared garden e)Farmland f)Elsewhere – please specify
5. How many hives do you keep?
6. Do you regard beekeeping as a a)Profession b)Hobby c)Somewher
7. Which best describes your view of the bees a)pet or b)farm animal
8. Do you keep other animals? If so, what?
9. Do you have other pets? If so, what?
10. Please order these aspects of beekeeping in importance fo
yourself. Feel free to add some others if I have missed them. I am no
a beekeeper (though I am thinking of giving it a go when I finish Uni
they are fascinating creatures now I’ve taken time to learn abou
them), so please excuse my ignorance. a)Honey, Propolis, Royal Jell
etc b)Pollination c)Enjoyment d)Farming e)Relaxation f)Socia
– BKA meets g)Skil