Subject Author Posted Replies

sodcium chlorate
odium chlorate is available from various on line sites. but the "ban " is for two reasons. One is that plant debris treated with sod chlorate is liable to bust into flames unexpectedly. A number of...

Cabbages and Kings
For anyone who fancies their kohl crops, this year's Alaska State Fair award-winning cabbage weighed in at 138.25 pounds (about 61.5 kg). They've had a bad year up there for pumpkins from what I've...
4
4

The bees are back ...
Now that the sedum are blooming, we're seeing genuine honeybees for the first time since last fall. Through the spring and summer, we've seen lots of ersatz pollinators on all the rest of the plants,...
1
1

Experiment
Well! I been and gone and done it! Inspired by Higgs, I decided to do something about a problem I've been pondering on for months - well, since the beginning of last summer really. A couple of my...
10
10

Euphorbia - tired
Two Euphorbia in pots on the back porch. Lots of sun, esp. summer. Have never pruned a Euphobia, but need to learn how pretty quick. From photo you can see how they are hanging tiredly down. get...
7
7

Lost corn?
The stalks look healthy, but they are already making tassels, with nary sign of ears. Nabe nursey guy said it's a lost cause, but I wonder WHY? They were started well, transplanted well, took off like...
9
9

What's this weed?
Every year this crops up in my flower beds and I let some of it be. I like the balloon pods/whatever and the flowers are pretty. It's easy enough to pull out if it starts to take over. 'm curious what...
4
4

Just Say Hello
Hi I'm Emily Derby I am new in the world of gardening and want tips can you help me
5
5

How foolish can a chook be?
Oedipus the accessory rooster is no smarter than his daddy. Spring is on the way so I was out riding the mower. The flock was out foraging on the grass with Oedipus on the edge as usual. As I...
6
6

Changing Botanical Names
There is a beautiful shy Australian called =91Sturt Desert Pea=92. I just included it in my ebook, and I try to be accurate when adding botanical names. Strangely, this one is =91Clianthus formosus=92...
8
8

hedge problem
I have leylandii around one side of my property and it is about dead due to aphids.I now want to change to another type of hedge. It is about 12ft high by 4-5 ft thick, one side is pavement and road...
2
2

Caterpillar Invasion - indoor plants
I have found caterpillar's munching away on my houseplants. I haven't got a clue how they got in, how can I get rid of these pesky pests? Thanks Ben
1
1

killing virginia creeper roots
i have cut back to 1'below ground.how to kill off remaining roots ,one of which is running

garlic as bug repellent?
Hi All, I have a little organic garden. I am scared to death of squash bugs. What do you guys think of planting garlic to keep the little buggers away? How close to the squash do they have to be? And,...
4
4

need tomato advice
Hi All, In my little organic garden, I have three cherry tomato plants: a sun gold, a sweet 100, and a black. I have one Cherokee Purple tomato plant. The sun gold and sweet 100 I have been getting...
7
7