Subject Author Posted Replies

Sprinkler advice
There was some discussion of sprinkler here. I am a newbie too and would appreciate all advice about my specific situation: 1. Two 30' x 60' backyard TRIANGULAR lawns (flowers along the long edge)....
3
3

News from madgardener
All, Maddie is at the local book heaven (haven?) and has been checking her yahoo email as of Friday AM. She's still working on figuring out how to get to her newsgroups (hence the silence), but will...
2
2

Jalapeno Conspiracy
What has happened to jalapeno peppers? The ones in the supermarket more often than not taste like bell peppers. I have noticed this over the past few years and it seems to be getting worse with time....
29
29

Sodding in July
Zone 5a . I have an urgent situation where I need to sod a 200 sq ft area of my yard. Since it's mid-July, it's hot and the sod area is in the direct sun. Could you please give me some advice how I...
2
2

NOFA's ORGANIC LAWN AND TURF COURSE
The NOFA Organic Land Care Program, a project of the Massachusetts and Connecticut chapters of the Northeast Organic Farming Association, will present a one-day, intensive Organic Lawn and Turf Course...

red needles on conifers
I have 2 conifers about 20 feet apart with patches of their needles turning red. One is a weeping bald cypress, the other is a dwarf alberta spruce. I see no sign of insects. I have sprayed them with...
7
7

Dwarf Mondo Grass Experience
Live in Virginia Beach, so it will grow here. Have regraded and sloped lawn away from foundation, due basement water problems. Gutters discharge at least 10 feet from house . This is a 10' wide...
3
3

Using plants to control algae
This summer I learned 1st hand how great a pond can look with enough plants. I have a top and bottom pond. The top pond is sparking clean and covered in lilies. The bottom pond is so full of algae you...

Newbie question: Which is the best hanging birdbath?
We want to install a birdbath in the backyard of our building. Complete newbies at this, so a few questions: 1. Is it true that, in order to attract birds and for their safety (from cats I suppose), a...
1
1

California Lilac looks like it is dying :(
My cal. lilac is turning brownish. I have never had to water it during the summer and it has always been very green a lovely all season long. This year it is starting to turn a brownish color and...
17
17

What is the difference between an acacia tree and a locust tree?
What is the difference between an acacia tree and a locust tree? Some websites say they're the same; most say they're different; none that I've found tell me what the difference is. To be specific, I...
5
5

Ficus behaving strangely
I have a ficus tree that is otherwise very happy where it is outside and has thrived for at least 8 years. The plant appears to be very happy and has minimal dropping of leaves. Moreover, it is full...
2
2

idea for madgardener
I came into the conversation a bit late, but what I think I hear is that madgardener may lose the Internet connection. If he lives close enough to a town with a library that offers use of PCs with...
7
7

free trees & plants site
Has anyone ordered from this site? It was listed on a PC newsletter I get, and I have wondered if what they supply is worth the modest shipping. The plants are all bare root but "free", as explained...
12
12

What's infesting my redtwig dogwood?
The leaves of a redtwig dogwood started showing small holes, and now some of the leaves are totally eaten out and dead. They're littered with the bodies of very small white winged insects. The...
2
2