Subject Author Posted Replies

checkout this cheap and easy bio filter i made
hey if you are interested check out this effective little bio filter i put together. it only took me one afternoon and saved a ton of money... me know if you can think of any wats to improve it....
6
6

fragrant nocturnal plants
I love the fragrant smells in Spain at night and want to know what they are. The most obvious is jasmine but there is at least another one which is 10 times more powerful (almost makes you sick). What...
4
4

HELP - looking for a flowering crabapple Columnar Siberian
Hi All, I live in Portland OR, US and for the last month I've been calling around the local nurseries here looking for a crabapple, Columnar Siberian Crabapple, Malus baccata 'Columnaris'. None of...
4
4

A Tree Has How Many Lives? Not 9 I Would Guess.
An irrigation line break caused a dawn redwood (9' tall) and a crabapple (9') tall to lose their foliage in the heat of August (90F+) period. Intense watering for two weeks brought almost all the...
6
6

[Isotoma] Blue Star Creeper
1. What is the difference between "Isotoma Blue Star Creeper" and just "Blue Star Creeper"? 2. Will either grow in sand? 3. I find it ready available for sale on the internet, but cannot find seeds....

Conifers
Im helping out a friend by trimming 6 foot off his conifer hedge, last time i did this i used a band saw but found it to be slow and laborious, can anyone reccomend an easier way of doing this, thanks
5
5

Question on ornamental grass
I have an ornamental grass, the name of it I forget. It has gotten to about 4' tall and after a recent rain here in Southern Calif. it is leaning over. Kinda looks like it needs to be trimmed in some...
2
2

Protecting Irrigation Lines
On about 4 acres of property we have maybe 400' of black tubing 1/2" (5/8"?) running above ground over often rocky terrain. We live in the Sierra foothills at 2700' and rabbits, deer, and some other...
1
1

Deep Watering of Older Trees
I have a number of Deodoras (mostly Atlanticus) that we've had for 8-9 years. All were planted by a landscaper. They are mostly between 15-18' now. Of all the trees I'm considering the topic of deep...
12
12

Balcony Gardening?
I've always wanted a big garden for as long as I can remember :) But I've literally just got my first flat with my boyfriend. Does anyone have any creative ideas for the balcony? It's really not big...
7
7

cereal rye for winter cover crop?
I have poor clay soil and am interested in using cereal rye in my veggie garden as a winter cover crop to improve it. Has anyone tried this and what was your experience? Also, where would one go to...
7
7

An oak...
I ran across an interesting oak on the net when searching for variegated trees: Quercus rubra 'Vana' I did all the searches I could think of to find a US source. Any suggestions for a possible source?...
3
3

Evergreen tree Arborvitae, Degroots Spire how fast it grows?
Hi, How fast a Arborvitae, Degroots Spire grow each year? TIA
1
1

The Future of Agriculture and the Importance of Developing Our Skills and Knowledge Base
We must take a serious look at how we shall feed ourselves in the future and how we will organize societally to insure our subsistence. To deny the reality of what is the future of food production is...
78
78

stopping tunneling rodents
I have a large backyard that borders an open field. At night some type of digging rodent(s) come under the fence and dig up bugs in my lawn. While natural, it leaves holes in the lawn and holes under...
5
5