cereal rye for winter cover crop?

I have poor clay soil and am interested in using cereal rye in my veggie garden as a winter cover crop to improve it.

Has anyone tried this and what was your experience?

Also, where would one go to purchase cereal rye seeds for a relatively small vegetable garden?

I'm in zone 6, by the way.

Reply to
engwar

Charlie

We used to call it winter Rye and local farm supply had it. They are mostly gone now here. Johnny's is excellent a guy that loves garden work. Hear he either turned the venture over to his employees or is working on it. Wish Walnut Acres was still about!

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

How small is your "relatively small" garden? It may be small enough so as not to be worth the trouble of sowing and turning it.

But anyway, any garden or farm center should either have winter rye seed or be able to direct you to someplace that does.

Reply to
Pennyaline

I'm in zone 6 (I think it's still 6) and have often used winter rye as a cover crop. If the weather is good, it's really pretty to see that bright green in the dead of winter. It comes back after tilling in the spring, but dies with the summer heat.

Kate - Nashville TN

Reply to
kate

I am assuming you mean the local farm supply stores are nearly gone. Same around these parts. Every small town had one, sometmes two of them.

Hadn't heard that Rob was turning Johnny's over. He has been at it a long time, and yes, he is great, as is his business.

I'm not familiar with Walnut Acres.

Reply to
Charlie

used to be able to have food deliveries sent to a local house and pick it up to save on shipping. I seem to remember that about 1948 they asked some guy over in India what they can do to make the world a better place. He said good food. Same guy is credited with getting Britain out of India.

Sad and wonderful PDF.

Bill who was born in 1948.

First product was Apple Butter !

Reply to
William Wagner

William Wagner expounded:

From the September Johnny's Update:

"Progress report

-- Employee ownership. October will mark our first anniversary of employee ownership at Johnny's. October 2006 is when J's employees bought 30.4% of J's stock from Janika and me, the "selling owners." A chunk of that money was borrowed, and when that's paid back in the summer of 2009, then employees will buy more. "

Reply to
Ann