Subject Author Posted Replies

Soil
Hi everyone! Could anyone tell me if certain plants thrive in poor soil, does tha mean they wont grow very well in good soil? Thanks Mar -- CORVIDSTATION61
11
11

Dwarf hydrangeas bring European accent to your garden
Picture this: It's next summer and you're proudly taking a friend for a stroll around your landscape. "Here's Vienna," you say, "And there's Berlin. That's Venice over there. Oh, and here's Paris."...

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Tomatoes in December
I think this photo probably needs no explanation but it's hard not to gloat over picking a tomato in December. js -- PHOTO OF THE WEEK: Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
7
7

A mystery of the botanists among us
Day of the Dandelion by Peter Pringle Just finished this - the use of the humble dandelion's ability to asexually reproduce is grafted on a food crop and could change agriculture the world over. But...
12
12

Ice Injury
A thought or two Dictionary MAIN PAGE Text & Grap

dictionary update
For the critics. I just reformatted my dictionary for easier browsing. maybe some of the critics who have all day on the computer like Don Staples, you could go through and look for bad links and...
4
4

microclima
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew where to obtain this horticultura film which is sometimes called " microclima". It's a material which yo cover plants with which lets in light and rain but protects...
3
3

Your Bulbs May Be Smarter Than You When It Comes To Planting
I have seen this happen in my own beds but never had any sort of idea how. Now I do. Confused about the right planting depth for flower bulbs? Trust the bulbs! Researchers have discovered that some...
1
1

Pile up leaves around your trees?
So, I was driving around town (Central NC), and saw a bunch of people with piles of leaves around their trees, some as high as 3 or 4 feet. Is this a good idea?
5
5

home wreckers
I was just watching a show on MSNBC about contractors who do not belong offering services. What about these contractors who know nothing about trees, never dissected trees, piling mulch on the trunks...
16
16

ants on milkweed
I have a potted milkweed on my patio that has ants all over it. Will the ants eat any caterpillars I bring in from the garden? There will never be any eggs on it as the patio is screened. I just bring...
1
1

Algae beneficial?
Jar holding cuttings in water is starting to develop a green film, likely fed by the weak plant food solution. Since algae liberate oxygen, and oxygen stimulates rooting, which is desired, is the...
2
2

woodland management points
Someone mentioned management of a group of trees by phone recently. are some very well written articles here that might apply. Especially "Managing Cavity Trees for Wildlife in the Northeast" to think...
2
2

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Leadplant
The Leadplant is a conspicuous but not common representative of upland prairies. The name derives from the supposed lead or gray color of the leaves caused by the fine hairs that cover them. All of...
1
1

Exercise in web design
Hi folks. Just mentioning a new site that I am working on as part of an assessment for a web design course. The URL is the title of the home page is Helen's Garden Design - Home. Now this is not yet a...
6
6