Subject Author Posted Replies

spring flowers
trying to show up. we will have thousands of daffodils coming into bloom in the next few weeks. at last! :) the earliest ones are the smaller/miniature daffodils. i didn't even know we had those...
16
16

Hibiscus and ramblings
Is there a secret to getting hihiscus seed to germinate ? I planted some a few weeks back and it hasn't . The seed came from the Ozark Seed Swap , and I have no idea how it was kept or how old it was...
1
1

Lavender
We live in zone 5, and were wondering if our lavender needs to be cut back at this time of year? We planted it last year, and it has grown to about 12 inches. Much obliged.....Ben
4
4

Tool for burying dripline in lawn
Last year I put Netafim Techline CV dripline on my front lawn, just on the surface of the grass. It has worked reasonably well, so it's time to think about making the setup permanent. I'd like to bury...
5
5

Do volunteer peas breed true?
Snow peas are one of the few vegetables that do well in my garden, so well that I no longer have to buy seeds. They simply sprout on their own and are reasonably productive for a couple of months in...
4
4

"Tipped" Rose Buds
I have 14 roses in my garden -- 7 in front of my house and 7 in back -- each a different variety. Most seem to grow and flower well. 'Pink Perfume", however, has a problem. As its flower buds mature...
2
2

Tulips ? What tulips ?
I treat tulips as annuals and pick up 75-100 at Costco or one of the Big Box stores. I don't think I ever spend more than $20 or so. We put them into a bed up front in the fall, then after bloom, I...
14
14

overlapping fence insert
Are you still yammering about your noisy neighbors... with the proximity/parameters you have to work with there is absolutely nothing you can erect that would in any meaningful way mute a neighbor's...
2
2

Plain Concrete Pavers With Imprints?
Does anyone know of a vendor in the Western US that makes a plain concrete paver from industrial concrete that has artistic patterns or imprints on the surface? I want a real 3" or thicker paver made...
4
4

what to do with straw bales this year
Last year I built several new 4'X8' 12-inch raised beds and filled them wit h straw bales. I treated the bales with nitrogen and used them for growing my tomatoes and other vegetables. They worked out...
4
4

Gabion Wall for garden - worth doing?
Hello, I am wanting a barrier ( approx 7ft high x 3feet in width x 7ft length) - ideally for soundproofing my garden near my house. ( annoying neighbours! ) Money as always an object, the best...
22
22

Phormium- leaves too long
I have a healthy Phormium Jubilee on the front porch. Leaves are getting so long, they drag on the ground. I elevated pot just a few inches, but leaves keep dragging. 1. What is one supposed to do...
3
3

Company that removes turf
This is a long shot, since only a few of us are in Southern California. I am in a hurry to find a company that will remove turf from my front yard. Santa Monica subsidizes this work, provided turf is...
2
2

Hi there !
I'm new here , but have been posting at for some time now . Rather than pester those folks , I thought I'd ask here . When is a good time to rake the leaves and stuff back off the Iris and similar...
5
5

Patio doors for my garden
Hi there, I have got these normal doors at my greenhouse and would like to get it replaced with these energy efficient patio doors that would add a natural light to the interiors and would give it an...