Phormium- leaves too long

I have a healthy Phormium Jubilee on the front porch. Leaves are getting so long, they drag on the ground. I elevated pot just a few inches, but leaves keep dragging.

  1. What is one supposed to do about "long" leaves in pot?

  1. When a Phormium is in the ground, rather than pot, how is this handled?

I've tried to do my homework before posting, but didn't find answer to "long leaf" question. Here are some of the links I visited:

NOTES: a. There is upright, partially upright, and arching. Mine is decidedly arching.

b. "Jubilee" is referred to as a"sport" of "Jester".

c. Climate is mild "Mediterranean" SoCalif, 1 mile from beach. Presently in drought.

TIA for any wisdom.

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

I would elevate the pot more and/or cut the tips off any offending, healthy leaves at an angle and cut off sick, bent or unsightly leaves as close to their origin as possible.

Cut them off or shorten them at an angle. Don't be shy - new leaves will appear soon enough.

Reply to
Amos Nomore

Sunset's "Western Garden Book" -- a necessity for anyone gardening west of the Rocky Mountains -- says to cut off older leaves that are looking tired. They should be cut as close to the base as possible.

Reply to
David E. Ross

ng so long, they drag on the ground. I elevated pot just a few inches, bu t leaves keep dragging.

"long leaf" question.

e is decidedly arching.

Thanks to both kind posters.

Leaves look fine; not tired; just too long. It seems "intuitively" that a Ph., at least one in the ground, would find some way to deal with long le aves that are touching the ground, but I don't know what's in its mind. S orry I didn't get an erect one instead of arching.

HB

Politifact won the Pulitzer Prize for covering the 2008 election, and may w in again for assembling a certain candidate's lies in one place.

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon