Phormium again

Okay, I find it hard to believe that online there is only one place which sells these mail order, and I'm not sure if it's only for wholesale or not.

Why can't people put this info on their homepage for immediate reading by us poor saps looking for some plants?

Anyone know a reliable source for buying these mail order?

thanks, Victoria

Reply to
Jangchub

The message from Jangchub contains these words:

did you see

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Found these at davesgarden;

Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Yes, but it appears to be wholesale. I sent an email yesterday and hope to buy one of each of their bare root cuttings.

thanks

Reply to
Jangchub

shipping seems extremely steep, considering how easy it is to propagate these.

I found out that in three weeks one of the better garden centers will have a few forms. I'll see what they have. I'm patient.

Janet, do you have seeds? If so I can pay for all shipping and send you some seeds I have for other things.

Reply to
Jangchub

The message from Jangchub contains these words:

Sorry, I didn't bother to collect any seed in 2006. I'll save some next autumn if you like (you'll need to remind me).

I've got two that set seed, one is the big monster purple tenax I described earlier. The other, is P "yellow wave" (I think). However, I've found yellow wave didn't do from seed. They germinated okay but the first leaves were so pale they seemed unable to photosynthesise, and died. Tricolour flowers well but doesn't set seed, wonder why that is.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

There's about 12 domestic sources for seeds and plants on ebay.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

When I searched on eBay as I always do, and I also sell seeds on eBay I didn't find any plants. Can you give me links to plants? I prefer not to fart around with seeds.

After years of being a professional grower, the last thing I now want to do is seeds. I much prefer propagation by division which is why I think Phormium is wonderful. If I can get enough varieties I can fund my plant addiction every spring by providing plants to the nurseries we all shop at.

Reply to
Jangchub

are also some plantlets out of the UK listed. Try putting ' phormium ' in the search window.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Well, 32 dollars for a gallon plant, and shipping is ridiculous. Not to mention I'd prefer to buy plants cultivated in the United States. I don't believe we can ship commercial plants from other countries without permits. I'm not sure.

Thank you very much for your imput, it is well appreciated. Victoria

Reply to
Jangchub