Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Tomatoes skins splitting
I had the problem of many of my tomatoes splitting their skins last year. I would like to avoid this happening again. Was I watering too much or too little that caused this to happen? Pat Aussies in...
3
3

Re: Question, fruit bats
Pick off all the fruit while it's immature, well before it becomes edible. Or chop the trees out and replace them with non-fruiting type that also produce no nectar that the bats find attractive. Or...

How do I tell when Cantalopes and Watermelons are Ripe.
I have heard that watermelons should have a yellow spot on the part touching the ground. and they should have a certain thump when you tap them with your finger. And cantalpes must let go of the vine...
6
6

Tomato height/size caging/staking
Two of my three tomato plants are outgrowing their cage/stakes. I have a indeterminate with a 4'+ above ground stake. The plant is easily a foot taller than the stake and growing. Since I've got two...
2
2

Peach tree bleeding like crazy
Sorry for the cross-post but this is urgent. My Peach tree, of about 8 years old, 7 feet tall, variety unknown, has suddenly started bleeding sap from hundreds of tiny spots all over. Thne leaves have...
3
3

Leafhoppers on runner beans
My runner beans (about a dozen plants now about 6-8 ft. tall) are infested with leafhoppers and are fading fast, although they still have some blossoms. Is there an non-toxic solution to this at this...
2
2

strawberry question
We put in new strawberry plants this year and they looked really healthy all summer, putting out runners all over the place. But during the past week their leaves have begun to pale, not yellow, just...
4
4

Molikhia??
I was recently provided some seeds for a middle eastern green. The individual that provided me the seeds, called it Molikhia and also referred to the plant as the "food of the pharons." He did not...
3
3

Re: Carrots & Eggplant
Carrots are a root crop. If you sweep some of the dirt away with your finger you may see the top of the carrot. If it looks bigger then a dime you can pull it. Make sure your ground isn't hard, if it...
1
1

Tomato blight
My garden is located in Iowa and this year I had to move it into my yard in a spot that was lawn for 30 years. Previously it was bordering my backyard in a farmer's field that he didn't plant due to...
5
5

why do my tomatoes lack flavor?
I'm looking for suggestions on what to improve or change for next year. This spring we planted 6 nursery 'Better Boy' plants, in clay soil we amended with manure and peat moss. I got huge plants and...
11
11

soil rejuvination question
what can I do to make soil fertile again if ihas been soaked in enough brine to kill vegetation My correct e-mail address is gn052 (not gn52) Fake adddress given to avoid spams
3
3

Newbie success
Sort of. Of my first 14 plants, 2 tomatoes and 2 canteloupe plants are still thriving (one other tomato plant is still alive, but very wilty and most of the leaves have browned). And, one of the...

Mid-season report from the Tomato Patch
Below is my report from 5/14/2003 with the mid-season update afterward. ---------------------- Greetings from Zone 6B. Today was perfect tomato growing weather. It was about 75F for the high and will...
9
9

Re: No Female flowers
Hey, I've got three plants that have been blooming for a month and only female flowers! Maybe it's just a bad year for zucchini :-). I know next year I'm going back to yellow crookneck. I've never had...