Pollinating a Lemon Tree

Me and my mum planted a lemon pip about a year ago and it has grown happily into a plant approx. 3 feet high.

When flowers arrive on the tree what do I need to do with them? Do I just leave the pplant outside or do I need to somehow pollinate it myself.

Also, when it has been pollinated approx. how long do lemons take to grow?

Thnaks for any help

-- Kirkyboy

------------------------------------------------------------------------ posted via

Kirkyboy

I have done the same. Very satisfying when it does so well, isn't it? My seedling tree is now about 10 years old, and an impressive bearer.

Admire them. Savour the fragrance. Even sing to them. Just don't pick 'em.

I imagine they are pollinated by bees, but I really haven't wondered otherwise until you asked. I know that bees seem to love citrus blooms.

Oh, 4 or 5 months in warm summer weather, at a guess. Keep it well watered, especially in hot weather, as the first thing a lemon tree under stress will do is jettison the young fruit! Lots of mulch and compost will extend the periods between waterings.

Reply to
John Savage

Hummingbirds too!

cheers,