Rot on my cut broccoli

After harvesting my broccoli, I found that at the point of the cut they developed a rot stating in the hollow of the stem . The stem contents turned to stinky mush. I've cut it down to healthy stem. Is there something I can do to prevent this on other plants?

Jack

Reply to
Jack1000

I've never had that happen so it sounds like an opportunistic fungus to me. Did you water / did it rain soon after cutting? Was the humidity exceptionally high? The cut wound needs to heal (dry up) for a bit. You might also look at dipping your cutting tool in a bleach solution to sanitize it because it might be the source of the infection.

Bill

Reply to
Noydb

Good point ... I guess I just assumed he was cutting at an angle because that's how I do it. Also he should be certain to use a good sharp knife or shears. If you are wounding the plant ... at least make a clean job of it.

Bill

Reply to
Noydb