Why did I plant zucchini...

...when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)

The plants are pretty, though. And big.

Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.

Reply to
Anonymous

i love them stuffed. Saute with some garlic and herbs Grated and cooked with corn and diced onion and used as enchilada filling

marcella

Reply to
Marcella Peek

Slice into wedges and saute with olive oil and garlic, s&p (only al dente )

Slice into wedges or cut into cubes and saute with yellow (summer) squash in olive oil and s&p. Again only aldente and about half way through give 'em a good splash of balsamic vinegar.

Slice them and use them in a lasagna style dish.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

Take them into work and leave them anonymously.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

I always cook them with stewed tomatoes. Sue

Reply to
Sue

Back when I actually had a crop (why do those darned things turn yellow and rot at about 1" long?) that's what I did. Sue

Reply to
Sue

Yeah, that's what everyone else does.

Actually, years ago, I thought breading and frying was the only way to eat them. I haven't done that in years. I like them now cooked very simply. I just steam them (or boil them) until they get barely tender. They should still be a little crispy, not cooked to mush. A little salt and a little butter and they are really good. The trick is to stay ahead of them and pick them when still very tender. No more than a few days after flowering. Healthy fast growing plants may produce 8 or 9 inch zucchinis in a few days that will still be tender. Stressed plants may take longer to make a smaller zucchini that is past it's prime. If you neglect to pick them and they get too big, it's time to take them to work. One other thing, zucchini is best cooked right after being picked. This is at least as important as it is with sweet corn. If I have zucchini laying around for much more than a day, I throw it away and pick more. If you fry it, you may not notice the difference but it's pretty obvious when you steam it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Lack of pollination. If bees are not doing the job you need to go out in the morning and do it yourself.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Lightly steamed in chunks.

Grilled unbreaded in slices, marinate with salad dressing. Foreman grill or open grill works.

Shredded and served raw on salads.

Cut into thick strips, dip in ranch dressing and eat raw.

LOTS of ways to prepare this wonderful veggie! :-)

HTH?

Reply to
Katra

Grilled, grilled, and grilled. Slice into long strips, toss them with a little olive oil and salt and assorted herbies, and throw on the barbie.

Or, alternatively, sauteed with peppers and onions and a little salt (the salt helps draw out the juices and it carmelizes nicely) on high heat so they get a little seared on the edges, then toss in a little soy sauce at the end (and sesame seeds if you have them). A good way to cut squash (or any vegetable for sauteeing) is to cut it first into quarters, then chop at alternating angles \/\/\/ to make irregular trapezoidal pieces. The angles help things move in the pan better than flat, regular slices, which have to be tediously flipped.

Reply to
DrLith

Last night's (picked an hour before) were sauteed with some onion, a tomato, a bit of tarragon, thyme, salt & pepper. Love that garden.

Still, in another week there will be more zucchini than lighting bugs out there. It is my neighbor's fault - she gave me the seedlings.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Toss them in a crock pot, sliced thinly, with one diced onion and about the same amount of diced fresh tomatoes, and cook until they are soft and the tomatoes have broken down - usually 4 hours or so on the high setting, or 8 on the low setting. Season with Italian seasoning, or fresh oregano, thyme and parsley, and salt to taste. My husband eats this as is or over white rice as a side dish, and it also freezes well. (You can cook this on the stove top if you don't have a Crockpot - takes about 45 minutes from start to finish that way.)Depending upon what else is producing in the garden, I will toss in green peppers or other vegetables, too.

You can also slice them and serve young small ones in salad in the place of cucumbers.

Reply to
Evelyn McHugh

grilled with a little oil, onions and yellow squash great side veggie

Halve, Scoop out the center seedy part and stuff like a boat with different mixtures. ground Italian suasage, marinara, mushroom, onion and some seasonsings is a good one.

Zucchini pie - basically a zucchini quiche, get the mix right and it is absolutely delicious.

Shread and use as vegetarian filling. I like a lot of veggies in my meatloaf, I use shredded zucchini well pressed (to eliminate water). I've also considered trying to use zucchini as a sub for potato in swiss potato pancakes(forget the words for it, rotti? something like that, shredded potato, onion, butter, shredded cheese, pressed in a frying pan and becomes like a hash brown. I want to try zucchini in that with mozz &/or provolone and probably some diced roasted redder pepers.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

Make pickles.

  • Exported from MasterCook *

Squash Pickles

Recipe By : Serving Size : Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

-------- ------------ -------------------------------- 8 cups squash, summer -- sliced 2 cups onions -- sliced 1 tablespoon salt 1 cup green pepper -- diced 2 cups vinegar, cider 3 1/2 cups sugar 1 teaspoon celery seed 1 teaspoon mustard seed

Combine squash and onions. Sprinkle with salt. Let stand 1 hour.

Combine peppers, vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil.

Drain squash and onions, add to liquid. Boil for 1 minute

Remove from heat and pack in jars and seal.

Process in BWB for 5 minutes for pints.

Yield: "4 pints" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- -

Reply to
The Cook

Cut into coins and saute in butter with onion until light brown. Quick and easy.

What herbs go good w/Zukes?

Reply to
TQ

Reply to
Nicole H

Some of my favourites are fresh thyme, fresh flat leaf parsley, or dried oregano.

Also, for those zucchini that get too big and seedy, I stuff them and bake them. Scoop out the seeds, and some of the flesh, shred the flesh with some carrot and/or parsnip, mix with some dices tomato, onion and bell pepper (and optionally some seasoned sausage meat), plus seasonings of your choice. Top with bread crumb and olive oil, then bake in a

350-375F oven.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Ward

Dill. :-)

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Sometimes in August a day's picking will yield a handful of beans, a small pepper, a small zucchini, one tomato, and such - not enough of anything for a meal. So I steam the mixture together with a little onion (long cooking veggies go into the pot first, short cooking ones later) and dress with olive oil, salt, and basil. That's good. When there are lots of zucchinis, I like them stir fried and dressed with a dash of soy sauce and sesame oil.

I used to plant zucchinis in the spring, but discovered that it works better for us to plant them in July. The squash borers have gone by then, and the peas and lettuces are just finishing up and ready to give up their places in our small garden. An early July planting yields in mid-August, which gives us a zucchini harvest for 4-6 weeks. After that we're about ready to give up eating zucchinis anyway.

Reply to
Kathy

I love it in soup.

--