web site update - our hay bale garden featured

g'day,

just updated our web site added some new pages.

let us know what you think?

also are guest books outdated now? seems lots of visitors don't see the need or whatever so maybe we should weed it out?

see you:

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen

Len,

Very cool approach. Are you purchasing all the rough materials in your strawbale garden (straw, mushroom compost, sugarcane remnants) or is that all available locally (don't see how you manage THAT in a small yard! )?

How long does it take for the materials to break down inside the strawbales?

Thanks for sharing!

Reply to
gonzo

Its great that you''re able to produce your own website, but a little more design and a little less banners would really make it better. The banners, while you may think they are useful, really don't match the website and just bulk-up the page, (think doughnuts, not steak and eggs).

Reply to
Happybattles

g'day gonzo,

yes i purchase it but it comes from local suppliers not retail outlet.

as the height of the medium has reduced i'd say it is well on the way to be broken down especially the leaves and softer bits, the grass hay i used for mulch over the mushy compost is breaking down and getting thin so i am currently topping that up by placing our kitchen scraps on the top of the old mulch and covering that with new mulch in this case sugar cane mulch.

snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen

g'day happybattles,

not real sure waht you mean?

this apge ahs been running for over 7 years now and very ealy on i got some constructive criticism that i follwed and to date have no other comments apart from positive ones.

when i use banners apart from my own they are to mainly promote other web pages that othes have online and generally connected to the subject matter.

and i have always placed those banners to the bottom of the pages so the imprtant information comes up first and gives the reader something to peruse as the page fully loads

now i'm just a common garden type gardener who has learnt to use html code and create a web page, i'm no fancy web master. and i see their pages many times they are often hard to navigate and very slow to load not simple at all.

i could easily provide text links for other pages but then hey that would be a trifle boring wouldn't it?

could you maybe be more specific about

tia

snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen

Its not that the banners aren't connected to the subject matter, but they look like coupons scattered on a dinging room table. My suggestion: Get smaller banners, no more than 40x40 pixels, from the websites you are linking too. Or, even better, group the banners into more specific subjects. Then provide a link to those subjects. Then put the banner on one side and a description of the website, what they can find, how it would be useful and the website address. Also, linking the banner straight to the website is useful. It would go somethign like this:

Websitename: Description - make sure you put all the info here like a newspaper reporter. Maybe even put a rating like *** for a great resource or * for a slightly useful website.

Rinse, repeat. Rinse, repeat.

That is one way to do it. A more useful and professional approach is to get smaller images and/or save the image-heavy pages for pages other than your main page.

True true.

Yes it would. Images make it easier for friends to show what they've found because they don't have to read, they just look at the color and shapes.

Overall you have a successful website. I can help - at no charge - but I need some info about your web server.

1) Are you running it off your home computer? 2) Is it a Windows server or Linux (Apache)? 3) Do you have ASP privledges? If you're not sure, ask the company you pay to host your website.

If your website is on a Windows server and you have ASP privledges, then I can create for you a very nice website which will be very easy for you update, change and alter. You won't be able to change the basic layout, but adding links, changing text and such will be very easy with little instruction, which I will include with the ZIP file I send you. Installation will be easy too, as you already know how to put files on your website.

Reply to
Happybattles

g'day happybattles,

thanks for replying.

i will take that code and put it onto my page and see how i can use it i am always willing to learn new things though i may not fully understand how it all works.

with those banners i can insert code to change the size or i can use the picture viewer to do that for me, i will look at that side of it, i ahve done some tidying up of the frontpage.

snipped

yes i run it form our home pc.

not sure about what is meant bythe above? my isp allocates me some web space to run a page in that is how it works.

i don't pay for nor can afford to pay for a webmaster.

all i pay i an anual fee for the domain name.

the basic layout of the frontpage was done for me by a friend at the time, her link is in my salutation line toward the bottom of the page, so she did the banner and the tables for me, and i just added the rest.

not sure how far i want to go with it at this time, but i thank you for your offer. we are pensioners on limited income it would be nice to get some gratuity form those who use the site BUT dunno.

a question for you though "what is involved in setting up a donation link"? maybe that may work? not looking to millions but something to supplement would be nice.

tia

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen

tried using the above code dunno must be me i got some fram up but nothing in the information i substituted showed as a live link.

here is wha i did:

Reply to
gardenlen

"Happybattles" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

*snip: website improvement suggestions*

While we're talking website improvement, I'd like to suggest that anyone doing websites takes the time to read Jakob Nielsen's top 10 homepage mistakes and avoid those things. Most of them (like not opening pages in new windows) don't require much knowledge of web development to implement.

'm not affiliated, I just happen to agree with most of what he writes.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Reply to
Happybattles

g'day happybattles,

you're a very switched on person by the sounds of it, me i'm an old foggy if i can put it that way just rying to get the hang of computers and this technology online.

yes we would all like to earn some respecatble money but then there i usually a price to pay for that, and i guess one would need moderators and be able to generate topical gardening topics to keep people coming back at least on a weekly basis? and a lot more bandwidth than what our isp offers for a free homepage, and of course then the isp doens't provide service for business pages which is what we would become if we generated income.

for me i'm from the old school of "if we oldies don't pass down what we know then the youngies won't have the opportunity to do likewise and lots of information/experiences is going to be lost. that's how i learnt as i grew up".

you can see we have generated app 50k in hits from the site over about

8 years, and yes if all those people where paid memebers or even paid once we would have supplemented our income, but this old brain just can't see that happening, and maybe if i went that way my opportunity to help others may just fade away. and as i am also there to help people of our own age groups who ahve never gardened then there is going to be those who simply can't apy anything (just like us).

on the paypal thingy i have read where people especially over here have had problems ie.,. getting their money whatever? out of paypal.

so the $9 to $25 i would assume USD rate? is quiet a lot of money for us, currently we pay app' $17AUD a year for the domain name, not through our isp but another source. so a monthly bill on top of our isp charges of around $59AUD would be out of the question, and i suppose you could answer by saying 'yes but if you generate enough income that will be covered' and i can see that maybe? but then the only income we get may only cover the costs of earning it.

the only pool of friends i realy have are who i chat to online.

my connection is a broadband connection so it is connected at all times when teh computer is on. and i am currently running win xp hm, but would realy like to move to linux.

snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen

E-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@XXXyahoo.comXXX

Just take out the X's when you send the email. I'll send you a website to download something nice. Run a virus scan if you want on it.

Reply to
Happybattles

g'day hb,

i sent you and e/m did you recieve it?

ta

snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen

Reply to
Happybattles

Happybattles Yep, dont check my email every day, but i think i got i

back to ya, unless i messed something up. gardenlen wrote:- g'day hb,

i sent you and e/m did you recieve it?

ta

snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

i just wanted to let u know that i finally got a chance to take a peek in and see how your bale garden was doing it sure looks like it took off and did great :). im still trying to get our youngest son to finish my frame for m raised garden beds but hopefully will get them done before winter lol. everyone here and your site as well has really helped a lot as far as giving me information on how to go about doing them. thank u and everyone here as well for the info that was given. cyaaaaa, sockiescat:)

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat

thank you sockiescat,

i have just yeserday updated those pages again, but yes the garden for a quicky temporary one produced very well from our stand point. and will continue for a long time yet.

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:42:49 +0100, sockiescat wrote: snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen