wasabi farming

Hi Folks Some time ago people were asking about culturing wasabi. It does appear to be one of those plants that are not that ready to be domesticated in a mad rush. I write an e-zine about aquaculture, and I've recently published an interview with Michel Van Mellaerts who (with his wife) have developed a method of growing wasabi in a recirculating system. They spend a great deal of time and effort getting the technique sorted out - but now pretty much are forging ahead producing top grade wasabi. I'd say they are working on a scale way outside the average gardener, but it's interesting to see how they managed never-the-less. They're now exploring the nutraceutical potential of wasabi.

Other than writing the interview I've got no connection with New Zealand Wasabi Ltd, and I suggest if you want more information about growing wasabi for market etc to contact Michel, or at least have a look at their web site

My interest was in the (aqua)culture of an edible aquatic plant, which apart from the various rice/wild rice options seems to be somewhat restricted - yes, plenty of edible aquatic plants, farming them seems to be an area ripe for development.

The interview is at

Lynsey

Reply to
Lynsey