Tree Fungus...please identify

anyone have a clue what this is?

I live in north east florida, and I believe this to be a myrtle oak.

hope that helps.

york

Reply to
york

Looks to be some type of gall. These are formed on the leaf by either an insect (on oaks, usually small wasp, but also small flies) or by mites. Leaf galls are mainly a cosmetic problem. Best treatment is to clean up the leaves when they fall and destroy them.

(TWIG galls, on the other hand, can severely damage or even kill oak trees.)

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Do you have any junipers near your oak? Junipers are notorious for being gall carriers. The ones here in NJ seem to affect nearby crabapples rather fiercely and your photos is quite similar to what afflicts by mine.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Do you have any junipers near your oak? Junipers are notorious for being gall carriers. The ones here in NJ seem to affect nearby crabapples rather fiercely and your photos is quite similar to what afflicts by mine.

Boron

Well actually it isn't "my" oak tree. It is in the woods. I have no earthly idea what a juniper looks like. I am a photographer and my main interest is in nailing down the taxonomy of whatever that lil' bugger on the leaf is.

thanks,

york

Reply to
americanspike

Reply to
Thomas

f your interest is truly taxonomic it's interesting that you have no idea what a juniper looks like. Thomas

As a photographer my taxonomic intrest is simply in finding out what my subject is. I am not a gardener. Unless I take a picture of juniper then I have no need to know what it is. Although in the interest of sience I have looked it up. There are no such trees near my subject. york

Reply to
americanspike

Reply to
Thomas