Tomato by Xmas day

Well to those who might remember me, I'm Fran, who used to post as Farm1 and I've returned after ISP probs.

I've missed the ngs but my garden has benefitted from less time reading. I managed to pick my first tomato of the season on Christmas Day and for my climate (considered to be a cold one for Aus.) that is truly amazing. Normally, I wouldn't expect to pick a ripe tomato till about mid January.

Reply to
Freddie2

So all we antipodal types need to do is hang our tomato plants upside down, and we'll have tomatoes by June? I'm usually lucky to have them by August during a hot summer.

Glad to see you back, uh, Fredde2. ;O)

Reply to
Billy

:-)) I don't think hanging them upside down will work, but do try it and let me know how it works ;-P

BTW, I thought that 'antipodal' (or variations thereof) only applied to us southern hemisphereans? Must do an OED hunt.

Anyway.... I was stunned to get that tomato as it's way too early for this locale. We have had a cold Spring and it's been very wet so it's even mroe surprising to me. I really can't account for it being ripe at this time of year but we picked 2 Tigerellas today. And the zucchini are starting to ripen so it must be time to start locking the doors on my vehicle when I go into the village or it'll be full of zucchinis when I come back to it.......

And lets forget that Freddie name - I asked my husband to set up the new news provider and he did that to me - I wonder where the rat poison is? Must figure out how to change it.

Reply to
Freddie2

[...]

adj. relating to or situated on the opposite side of the earth. ? ( antipodal to) diametrically opposed to something.

I'm a green as-my-tomatoes-were-this-year with envy. I've had 2 cold summers back to back. I'd just be happy with a normal(?) summer this year.

Now Sheila, put down that bomb ;O)

Reply to
Billy

You use Outlook Express right? Tools, Accounts (select account) Properties, (change name and make sure email address is not valid unless you want a mountain of spam).

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Thank you for your kind words.

Well it wasn't what I'd call a good tomato. It was smallish and just a ho-hum tom, but it was ripe so I'm pleased in the circumstances.

Reply to
Freddie2

Thanks David, I will get around to that soonish. BTW, I had a great garlic harvest. You asked about growing garlic here sometime in the recent past and I followed my own advice that I gave when you asked. I planted near the shortest day and harvested near the longest day - the harvest was excellent.

Reply to
Freddie2

I just picked the last of the tomatoes from the greenhouse this morning here in North Carolina. Some of them are still green but we are expecting a cold snap and I am not heating this winter.

Reply to
mjciccarel