They're back!

Hi All,

When I went to water the children yesterday, I noticed some strange movement on one of my zukes. On investigation, it was about 10 huge , 1" squash bugs. This would be the overwinter phase that goes out and lays eggs in the spring. And they were socializing (wink, wink).

So I decided to feed then their dinner. Their first course was a bath of pyrethrin. Then, ten minutes later, soapy water and cayenne pepper. When I was done, the plant looked like I had covered it with cool whip. :-)

At least they are slow, pick on a single plant to socialize on, and are easy to locate at that size.

The way I have my plants spaced out this year, I have 360 degree access to all sides, so they are easy to spray.

And, I found no eggs under the leaves (yet). Apparently, they did not have enough time socializing before the diarrhea kicked in.

This means WAR!

Death to earwigs! Death to squash bugs!

-T

Of the ~50 radish plants I had sprouting up, I now have zero. Lesson leaned. Sprout my plants to earwig defendable size before the earwigs hatch in the summer.

Killed three bugs and squished two sets off eggs yesterday. None located today.

Death to earwigs! Death to squash bugs!