Storing Seeds

What is the best method for storing saved seeds? Just dried and shelled some bean seeds and would like to keep them for next season.

Reply to
Danny Byrne

Cool and dry will be fine... beans are good for several years at least. I use a plastic storage bin with a container of silica gel inside to keep things dry, but for that short a period for beans, no problem!

Gary Woods

Where are you located and are you bothered with weevils or other bugs getting into your stored seeds? My uncle puts his beans in a coffee can, sprinkles some sevin dust on top, and seals it. Then he stores it in a cool, dry place. The seeds last and the bugs aren't a bother. Don't eat them after that application.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Thanks very much for your help

Reply to
Danny Byrne

shelled some

throughly dried, in a ziplog bag, in the freezer. they last indefinitely.

Reply to
simy1

Reply to
Texas Tomatoes

I agree with Sol&Al, it's not good practice to store seeds in plastic bags due to the condensation that collects in them, seeds need to be stored in a dry place.

Reply to
Mo