Squash Rot

Help,

I've always had success with squash, but the this year and last I've had problems with the fruits getting about half mature and the ends start to rot until the whole fruit is withered and rotten. Any Ideas?

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Aborted fruits usually result as a lack of proper pollination--maybe not enough bee--do it yourself--with a small artists brush transfer pollen from the male to the fe,ale or if lots of males pick off and smoosh on female blossom

Reply to
Frankhartx

If the fruit is semi mature, maybe 6" long, as opposed to being an inch or so long(new) then the end turns color ans wilts and it slowly takes over the entire fruit, its likely squash bugs. Hose down your plants for around 6 seconds or so with water, especially the base of the plant, then look to see if those little suckers come running up the stems. They dislike water bigtime! I hose mine down daily and catch & crush them that way, plus looking for their little egg clusters on the underside of the leaves or stems. WARNING: when you crush them the definatley STINK, thus their other name, stink bugs.

Reply to
John DeBoo