Snails, Slugs, Hedgehogs etc.

The answer my Dear Franz is - YES. I am very active on the Rugby Newsgroups. However I find this drift absolute childish nonsense.

Have a good day - with a slug or two.

Happpppppppppy Everythings,

LenBo

Reply to
St. George

You are a kook packrat. - Thanks, - C.

Reply to
Charles Newton

Real cute, zippie. You just crapped and I found it. Thanks a lot - C.

Reply to
Charles Newton

"Charles Newton" wrote in news:22yad.262 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Is crappie your most often used word?

Reply to
runoutfishname

Only when crapies like you swim around in my computer scrern and leave little dung threads hanging from their behinds. Just like you and how your crappy pappy always taught you. See what I mean now? Please stop pooping your crap all over this chat space and I will not report you to EARTHLINK like I did to packrat the raturd. You don't see her writing here any more do you? Got it, fellah? Good. Thanks for nothing - C.

Reply to
Charles Newton

The place where optimism most flourishes is the lunatic asylum.

Reply to
Lady Chatterly

disruptive.

Actually, I found his rant to be quite amusing.

While I try to use some decorum in my own communications, my term of service in the military has desensitized me to most invective.

Ray Drouillard

Reply to
Ray Drouillard

No, a crappie is a type of fish.

Reply to
Ray Drouillard

Yawn. Dullard by name..............

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

Lion and tigers and bears...........Oh My!!!!

Encourage hedgehogs to do what? Gardening chores? Register to vote?

The role of snails and slugs is to defoliate all your plants and produce plenty of slime in the process!!! They also can be cooked in butter with garlic!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Not exactly naked.

A slug is a saddle back snail for pixies to ride!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Slugs exist to do two things:

1) They function as little janitors. 2) They gross out 12 year old girls, which is a worthwhile thing, according to my son.
Reply to
Doug Kanter

Here's an odd suggestion or three.

1) Place your beer bait OUTSIDE the garden in a perimeter. If you place it inside the garden, then slugs from outside will arrive faster than the locals can be dispatched. Instead, draw the locals outside to greet the new arrivals with a welcoming beer bash. 2) I'll get flambed to a fair thee well over this, but I have found scattering a pretty heavy application of fresh, ground coffee over the grounds at the first sign of damage / slime trails to be nearly 100% effective. NOT used grounds, fresh ones. Slugs come out to 'smell the coffee'. Once. 3) We all gotta go sometime and there are very few pleasant exits. The fact is that if there are not enough natural predators, the slug population will grow to match the available vegetation. Plus 10%. The second fact is that, due to their nocturnal habits, slugs effectively have few natural predators. If you don't want to try the coffee extermination route or the constant upkeep of the beer bait route and you don't want to lay down Sluggo, look for anti-slug products using ferrous gluconate as their active ingredient. It breaks down to an organic fertilizer. And so do slugs.

I don't wanna fight Paghat, but I sure wouldn't turn to her (a Wiccan) for help understanding the scriptures.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Me a wiccan? And why that non sequitur at all if you weren't just trolling for attention?? My dad was a nonobservant Jew & my step-mom a Buddhist bikuni from Thailand, & my primary religious influences were Buddhist; I am personally agnostic but was in youth very actively buddhist. I've studied comparative religion for decades & know scriptures of many sorts exceedingly well; these wonderful texts are better than science fiction. Since my greatest interest is in ancient to medieval religious texts, that pretty much leaves out wicca, a modern invention despite wiccan claims to the contrary. But to overlook your trolling me, & to adhere to the topic, here're some slug facts which may improve your slug advice in the future:

Beer doesn't really kill slugs. There is a possibility of DROWNING slugs in beer, as in water or tomato juice or Welch's grape juice, but nothing special about the beer. Field studies show the majority of slugs crawl into it, then right out, unharmed, especially if the beer is in a shallow container like in a pie tin in which drowning is not possible. A few slugs might on rare occasions be killed by the alcohol content but that evaporates off in about an hour, & unless the beer is put out at night, the alcohol will already have evaporated before the slugs begin to be active.

Slugs can only drown if the water (or beer or Martinelli's sparkling apple juice or Uncle's Billy's urine) is deeper than their "foot" can reach them back out of the container. If a Yoplay yogurt cup (with inward-reaching walls) is sunk partly in the ground (not all the way or beneficial insects will fall in) slugs might occasionally crawl into it after the scent of the beer malt, & can't crawl back out, so might drown though the beer itself was harmless to them. It wouldn't work very well even in this context, since slugs can't smell stale beer, so unless the beer were changed AT LEAST once a night if not more often, it would have no more of an attractive odor than any random liquid.

Slugs have favorite beers. A study at the University of Colorado discovered slugs dislike some beers & just won't pay attention to them. They did indeed rather like Michelob & Budweiser. They were MOST enamored of Kingsbury Malt, which is not alcoholic. The Colorado study used DEEP "professional" slug traps that drowned slugs. A University of Ohio study used shall beer traps with "lids" for the sake of population & species studies. Fresh beer was used as an attractant which in no way harmed the slugs. The "hide box" beer traps attracted a lot of slugs, which liked the beer enough to hang out in the trap (clinging to the trap roof) for easy count & species assessment. Essentially beer in a hide-habitat made them happy rather than dead.

Even more adamantly, coffee grounds do not kill slugs, that's one of the newer garden myths.

Here's the complete skinny on the slugs & coffeegrounds urban legend:

& other Iron phosphate snail & slug baits definitely do work. They're the only baits that work with anything approaching reliability, & the only baits legitimately non-toxic except to molluscs.

She this discussion of Iron phosphate as the best method of slug control other than hand-picking them at night with flashlight in hand:

the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat