Self-Sufficiency

I recently saw a message on (I think!) this Group asking whether anyone knew of web sites devoted to all aspects of self-sufficiency.

The site to check out is The Get-A-Life Index. It's at

's so new I don't know if the search engines have picked it up yet.

There are hundreds of references-- Not only links to web sites, but also books and articles and other information

The site is organized into categories and sub-categories including Food (gardening, recipes, storage, etc.); Alternative Medicine; House-building, Homesteading; Energy (solar, wind, etc.); Work (starting your own business or changing jobs/careers), etc.

–Alex
Reply to
Alex

Wouldn't happen to be the *spamming* owner of the site, would you? I thought so....

This is a *pay* site. There are zillions of free sites with this info - they're all over the Web.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Any recommendations?

Reply to
Seeker

Sure, but you can do better than my recommendations.

Just go to Google and type in the search box the subject of interest: whether 'gardening' 'homesteading', 'self-sufficiency' etc.

If it's a two-word topic use " -- like this "home preserving" .

Also, go to

- and click on 'Information Area'. (I can't give the exact URL you will get then, my ISP is having problems today and I can't get o the Web much today.)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Well, Google isn't for personal recommendations. I prefer someone actually recommending sites that they like. Why reinvent the wheel?

Reply to
Seeker

Well, it appears the original post in this thread was spam; your "question" was none too specific ("any recommendations?"); and a suggestion to search on terms that fit your interests seemed a reasonable response.

My own thoughts immediately turned to "The Good Life" BBC comedy series (shown here on some PBS stations some years ago as "Good Neighbors") about a couple who decided to drop out of the rat race and become self-sufficient in their own suburban home. Not much useful instruction, but very amusing.

Reply to
Frogleg

In this particular case, I have too MANY of them to easily give recommendations, especially since I use IE, and IE does not keep its 'favorites' ('bookmarks' to Netscape users) in an easily accessible format.

I made a mistake and made a joint category - 'Gardening/Homesteading' - in my 'favorites' and there are probably hundreds of URLs there now. This should have been separate categories.

If I could just send you a text file, I would. But as I said, IE doesn't keep favorites in an easily accessible format.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Works fine for me too, but not for sharing with others: they are not kept - AFAIK - in one text file anywhere.

If the favorites are all in one text file anywhere, I haven't been able to find it.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Ah. To transfer a list of 'favorites'. You can "export" favorites to an html file, either all or any particular folders. That might help.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Go ask your question on There are lots of rural folks over there who have the good sites bookmarked.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

There are also misc.survivalism and alt.survival if you can get past the black helicopter and other paranoid stuff.

Reply to
Phaedrine Stonebridge