seed swap fun

this past weekend i finally became a more social critter and had some fun giving away beans.

i had a lot of fun meeting new people and some i had corresponded with via e-mail or on-line.

before i went i was way too busy trying to sort and figure out what i was going to take from the bean collection.

i ended up taking two totes and another box of a few others just in case i ran low.

the goal was to give away as many beans as possible as i really needed room on my shelves again. i succeeded in giving about half of them away.

since this was the first time i'd done this i didn't really know what i was up against or such, but i think i learned a few things to apply for the next time.

i didn't take only beans to give away, the scapes from some garlic that were sprouting were popular in spite of the fact that it would take a year and a half to get them to a regular bulb of garlic again. i gave a few hundred of those scapes away - so i know to take some more next year too.

i think i'll come up with a garlic page for the website so people can have that for directions and to also give it the history as i know of it.

i shook hands with Mr. John Coykendall and thanked him for coming but i did not have enough time to talk to him. i really needed another person so i could go do some other things here or there while they could stay at the table to give things away. like i really wanted to go to his lecture/presentation but it was too busy with people wanting seeds or talking about garlic.

the most fun was meeting new gardeners just starting out and making sure they had some seeds that have been reliable for me for this area.

all that said, have you done any seed swaps?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

No. I don't know any local gardeners (although, I do drive by a nice little summer garden a few miles up the road) and generally eschew group and "social" activities

Reply to
derald

me too, but i'll make exceptions for gardeners and books. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird