Re: Whats eating my veggies?

Are you sure it is not a little rabbit or other small critter? It looks lot like what I see when they get it my garden and they sure like the veggies you mentioned.

It s beginning of January here in northern California and > is the coldest time of year. > Something is attacking my broccoli, bok-choy, > cauliflower and lettuce in the shadiest wettest side of my > house. > The damage looks alot like snail or slug with the edges > of the leaves eaten . However I can t find any slugs or > snails around and there are no trails that I notice. > Anybody have any ideas? > see link to > photo: [Image]

Linda Barsalou

I didn't seem to get the original post but I see the question in this reply. The way the damage seems to be mostly on the leaf edges, it almost looks more like damage from a caterpillar of some sort. I have trouble with slugs but not snails around here. Have you gone out with a flashlight right after dark to see if anything is out for a late dinner?

Steve

L> Are you sure it is not a little rabbit or other small

Reply to
Steve

SNIP

More snip

So somebody educate me (in southern England)

What constitutes cold in California? Frost?fog?snow?

When we think of California over here the only thing that springs to mind is sunshine.

Incidentally my garden fence blew down in a gale last night and it's currently lashing down with rain, the road is starting to flood.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

California is 770 miles 'long' and 250mi 'wide' with a variety of climate zones. including temperate coastal areas, deserts, interior plains, and the tallest mountain peak (Mt. Whitney -14,494ft) in the US outside Alaska. If the unidentified poster is in San Fransicso, average January minimum temperatures are in the mid-40sF. Temperature extremes range between -45F around Lake Tahoe to 134F in Death Valley.

You're probably thinking of the southern Calif/Los Angeles area of movies and TV. Average low temperatures for January are in the upper

40sF.
Reply to
Frogleg

Wow, that is a range! I knew about death valley, but not lake Tahoe. I was just thinking that if it's the coldest part of the year, it may be a bit premature sowing some of the veggies mentioned. I won't be even starting sowing anything until at least mid Feb. in my unheated greenhouse and this is a mild area of UK.

All right, since I don't know about growing seasons over there maybe I'll keep my nose out of areas I know nothing about :-))

Steve

shazzbat

Don't go away. While I'm familiar with Calif, having lived in the SF Bay area for many years and traveled (and skied) some, it was interesting to nail down the absolute stats. And you don't learn if you don't ask. The OP mentioned several "cool weather" crops which are probably quite appropriate for the SF area in January. Although it's hard to generalize -- a lot of 'micro-climates' in the region. Ex: I remember driving from west from Palo Alto on an sunny, hot (85F) summer day, over the hills, and to the beach. As I descended on the Pacific side of the hills, the temperature dropped, it was foggy and about 55F at the beach, and I sat on the sand for a shivering 15 minutes before driving back to bask by the apt. pool. :-)

I also sometimes founder around in urg. No one's been nasty to me yet. ^_^

Your allotment looks interesting. How large is it?

Reply to
Frogleg

This is on a deck so access for animals is limited, but there is a tree right next to the deck. There are squirrels that can climb on to it but I haven t seen any around the pots. I have seen birds around the pots. I don t know if birds or squirrels can do that kind of damage. A rat? It sure is tasty.

L> Are you sure it is not a little rabbit or other small

Reply to
JoanneW.

Reply to
JoanneW.

SNIP

Thank you. It is interesting, and fun, at least we think so. Sometimes in summer we're down there till nearly dark, it beats TV :-))

I haven't measured it properly, but the tenancy document describes it as

0.11 acres and I'm prepared to believe it, even though they all say that despite being visibly smaller towards the other end of the (tapering) site.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat