Re: How it Is

too crowded in their present location. Have on-hand a batch of English > peas seeds with which I've never been satisfied and so am planting them > today, for compost, in the same bed that is to receive the collards. I > didn't inoculate these seeds so the degree of "natural" nodulation(?) > will determine whether I leave the roots in place for a quick, albeit > brief, N2 boost or whether I just pull them up and compost the entire > plants.

not sure how long it takes to nodulate...

Putting together a Spring-summer wish list to determine what, if any, > seeds I'll need to order in. Spring planting starts in about the middle > of February in these parts, although, there is always a risk of a late > winter slap on the wrist from Mother N. Still can't decide whether to > fool with potatoes next year. Potatoes are planted in late November or > December down here and it's difficult to find vendors with suitable > varieties who'll defer shipping until then. Even those few require that > orders be placed in the spring. I haven't grown potatoes in years, > primarily because the varieties that do well in this climate simply are > not worth a damn for actually eating so why bother. Still, some of us > simply can't learn from our experiences, I guess....

sweet potatoes are so much better (and the greens too from what i've heard). some year i have to get some sweet tater slips going and see how they do here. Ma says she grew some years ago, but i wasn't staying here then.

Strawberries, for the first time ever. They were received and set out > kind of late (Dec.4) so that now they've started blooming and the plants > still appear to be too small. One of the beds is shaded part-day > because trees are still holding most of their leaves and, of course, > it's the sunny half that's blooming. The other is shaded for most of > the day and those plants aren't blooming yet and might not.

it takes some time between when they start actively growing again and when they flower.

with the moderate temperatures here i sure hope things don't start sprouting and blooming...

Ran out of alfalfa pellets and won't make the trek to the alfalfa store > for a few more days. At least now the trek is only about 12 miles, > 'round trip, instead of 30. Waiting for the arrival of some > store-bought nematodes to the post office, which is en route the alfalfa > store. The nematodes eat other nematades as well as a few kinds of > nasty larvae. The other nematodes (root knot) and the primary target > but the beetle and fly larvae are a bonus. They don't appear to harm > wasps. Looks as if I'll be spending some time reaping "real" compost > for the spinach bed this afternoon. I maintain a "constant yield" > compost bed but compost always is in short supply because it's only > stuff from the garden.

i have a bucket full of goodies here for the worms and will have the rest of the squash either cooked or ready for composting tomorrow. adding all that to the worm bins will be a job for friday or this weekend. time goes by too quickly...

safe journeys, even 12 miles can be an adventure these days.

the deer made plenty of pellets for me out back. i'll be playing marbles in the gravel once it gets nice enough outside to start. hmm, well if the weather is going to be warm and dry enough i can actually get a bit of a start early on that task. hahaha...

"Mike" (the micro$oft digital voice) just announced lunch and the soaps > are over so I guess I'll gag something down and get back to it. Y'all > have a large time.

the walk was good for me and we checked out the river at the park (and the flood plain). while we were watching a large chunk of ice broke free and made fun noises crashing into other chunks of ice further downstream. some ice along the road in patches made the walking a bit of a challenge, but we survived.

songbird

Reply to
songbird