Re: basil and cilantro

> >So, I transplanted the basil and cilantro plants in larger planters. Now > >half of them are dead. I did water them but the weather had been strange > >here. Hot and sunny one day, rainy the next, so it is possible the soil was > >very dry for at least a day, or overwatered. How wet do these plants need > >to be? I read the little paper I got with them, and it just said to keep > >the soil moist. > > Yeah. How moist is "moist"? Roughly, it means growing in soil that > has enough organic material to prevent either extremely rapid drying > out, or water standing in a pot or on the ground. Directions for > growing many plants say "does not like to be transplanted." I wouldn't > think basil was one of these, as it's often sold in little 6-packs and > seems to transplant well. I always sow cilantro seed where I plan the > plants to live, however. The good news is that cilantro is *very* easy > to grow from seed. Repeated plantings are suggested to keep a > reasonable supply going. You don't even need to buy seed packets -- > just find a jar of coriander seed and plant some. > > >Also, I'm wondering if the round-up I used on some weeds nearby had a > >negative effect on the plants. I did not spray the round-up on the plants > >or on an area touching the planters (but it was one or two feet away) and > >there was no wind to speak of, which is why I used it at that time (I > >wouldn't have if it had been windy, since I would have been afraid of the > >wind carrying the round-up to my new babies). How much does that round-up > >stuff travel? Even if there were no wind, could it have hit my plants some > >other way? > > How far does a sneeze travel? Roundup is a *very* effective herbicide. > 1 or 2 feet away from new little plants is pretty close.. Roundup does > its work on exposed foliage. It decays quickly (within a 2-4 days) and > has no effect on subsequent planting in the treated area. Very > meticulous gardeners wanting to kill specific plants/weeds *paint* it > on with a brush or sponge to avoid the effect of aerosol spraying.

We once had a neighbor that applied a herbicide on a windy day and we had extensive damage near the property line. Fortunately a small hill protected our koi pond but we lost around 20 plantings due to his carelessness. My beautiful euphorbias croaked first within an hour! Anything with lush green foliage (like peas) got hit the worst. A few things managed to come back like my climbing hydrangea but the damage was both expensive and heartbreaking. A few of my heritage roses never came back and all he could say was that he thought it was not windy and that was why he did not spend a lot of money on plantings.

Reply to
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Roundup is also toxic for some of us people.

Your neighbor should reimburse you to replace what he killed (and the cost of having it planted), I know that won't make it OK - but maybe he'll think before he sprays again. What he did was just criminal in my book - for plants to croak within an hour he must have gone through gallons. My sympathies!

We have a neighbor that pulled all the honeysuckle off of our fence when he moved in (I know it's a weed, but I liked it and it had grown there for years while their lot was empty.) and killed what he could on both sides... I walked outside one day to hear the fence pickets breaking as he pulled.... then had the gall to tell me the fence needed to be replaced. [I just thought, too bad...not going to happen... ]

Sara

Reply to
Slofolk

Your state EPA might have been of assistance. Your neighbor is responsible for the results of his spraying, as I'm sure the EPA would be happy to tell him.

A neighbor of mine sprayed his neighbor's hedge because he didn't like it. When the WA state EPA found out, they sent someone out who took samples of the damage for testing, then had a serious talk to the then 84 year old vandal.

Bob

Bob

Reply to
Bob