Ramps

I would like to try growing Ramps, in a shady spot under a tree. Slightly Sandy soil. Does anyone know where to get seeds or plants to get me started?

Ramps are the onions that Chicago is named after. In the leek family.

Ross

Reply to
Ross

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:35:47 GMT in , Ross graced the world with this thought:

wait... Chicago was originally named "Ramps?"

Reply to
belly

Yes. Further suburbs were called "Edens," "Kennedy," and the ever popular "Dan Ryan."

But seriously ladies and germs... Ramps of the allium kind are pretty common... I was given a bunch that a friend harvested in the hills south of me in upstate New York, and some I planted look happy along a pine-wooded path with dappled shade. Dunno about commercial sources; as a thought one might try local hiking clubs and outdoorsey types. They do cause a certain je ne sai quois on the breath. As an alliophile, I don't mean that as a _bad_ thing!

Yours in bad breath,

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at

Gary Woods

It is... It's the Native Indian language though.

Reply to
Ross

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:01:11 GMT in , Ross graced the world with this thought:

ah, ok. I thought it was Romanian for "Hog butcher to the world."

Reply to
belly

Are they like wild "garlic" small, grassy tops, crocus size?

Or are they a multiplier onion?

Potato onion?

If the latter, Ronnigers Potatoes in Northern Idaho had some in their catalog this year.

Main page:

and shallots page: http://69.36.167.227/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=OSIt's a family run business that apparently shut down for awhile and just started up again this year.

Janice

Reply to
Janice

I should have looked first on google. I found a place in England that sold them but they're out, and I imagine difficult to import.

I found a company that sells them .. foraged from the wild .. for food ..but if they still have their roots intact you could plant them. They're $9.50 a pound. I'd contact them to see if they are whole, roots intact before I ordered them.. but the link to the page is:

delights where great chefs buy is what they call the company ;-) In case for some reason the above link does not work their home page:

Janice

Reply to
Janice

Roots probably don' matter if the small smelly bulb is intact... my wild-foraged ones took quite well after 3 months in a bag in the fridge.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at

Gary Woods

"Handling Fresh Ramps / Wild Leeks

A papery wrapper leaf (and some dirt) may surround the bulb and should be pulled off as you would with scallions. There may also be some roots which should be trimmed off along with their little button attachment. Once trimmed and cleaned the entire plant is tender and choice for eating. "

It looks like they could be planted out with a good chance that most of them would grow. I have a little clump in my yard. A friend of mine dug some from the woods and gave me some. I ate most of them but planted some in 3 locations in my yard. They liked one location. I should get out there and find some in the wild. They ARE really good.

Steve

Reply to
Steve