Rain-collector for watering?

My house has no outdoor faucet to attach a hose to, and I'd like to buy something that will collect and store rainwater that I can use to water my garden. I'm not thinking of anything large like a cistern, but something smaller. Does something like this exist? Any ideas where I'd purchase such an item?

Reply to
Rick Charnes

my municipality sells these things. check yours?

Not the Karl Orff

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:35:59 GMT in , Not the Karl Orff graced the world with this thought:

Very nice... decent price, too.

Reply to
belly

I have a system that uses a series of 6 55 gallon plastic drums (they were lactic acid barrels from a local cheese company). I rigged them up using PVC fittings and pipe dope/cement to build them in series of 2 tanks connected at the bottom, then a spigot on each bank of 2. They are all connected at the top, so when the rain (from my downspout) overfills the first 2, it dumps over into the next 2, and then into the last 2. This way, if something fails, you only loose 2 tanks, and are still operational.

Note-- that is one hell of a lot of weight, and since it's under gravity feed, I had a freind build a steel rack behind my garage to keep them about 3' off the ground.

Also, The "bung" on the tanks is mounted on the bottom, so you can get rid of leaves and gunk if it collects there. It works like a dream. I usually have at least one of the banks of 2 with an old pillow case of manure for occasional feeding of the plants (manure tea).

Just a thought.

John

ps, yeah, my best friend is an engineer, and yes, my fiance and neighbors think I lost my mind!

Reply to
Bpyboy

I have an expandable system of 18 55 gallon drums, with an additional 4 collection barrels at my downspouts. The drums are upright and tapped at the centers with dip tubes to the bottoms. They fill from a manifold system from the collection barrels. that have shutoff valves. Each holding drum has a "y" shutoff for filling and dispersal. The shutoff is turned off when full and back on when each individual drum is empty so that if it rains, they will refill. I also have an overflow on the manifold that dumps excess water to the yard when they system is full. It takes less than 1/2 inch of rain on my roof to fill the whole system from bone dry.

I am an electronics engineering technician.

Reply to
James Mayer

Sure. Very pricey!

you can just buy a large garbage pail for about ten bucks, and siphon the water out. Or two garbage pails.

Pat

Reply to
pat