Rain

Had a dry day today so were able to get out in the garden without getting wet. Just poked around a bit to see how things were going and the garden is very lush. It should be with all the rain we received yesterday. Was watching the weather man a little while ago, he said we have received 67.8 inches of rain this year. Thankfully we didn't get the nearly seven feet all at once. A couple of rain storms that dumped at least eighteen inches in 24 hours was enough.

Put up some 4 pints of kumquat marmalade last week, our tree is not growing much since we put in in 2013. Hopefully we will be able to change that. I am going to deep fertilize the fruit trees this coming spring in hopes the roots will go deeper into what passes for soil here. I do miss the ancient sand dune we lived on in Louisiana, it was covered with about twenty feet of fertile soil from the forests that grew there for thousands of years.

We have vacuum bags of sweet chilies, squash, zucchini, etc. plus home canned green beans and other veggies to carry us through until spring. Spring here usually starts in late February to early March so it won't be long until the spring garden goes in.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Hi George,

Our average rain fall is usually around seven inches.

67.8 inches !??! ¡Ay, caramba!

Do you ever bother to wash your car?

-T

I only have one container of vegis in the freezer from this years crop. You are in inspiration.

Very seldom, it sits out on the garage apron mostly. Once in a while I have to go out and wash the volcanic ash off of it. Two volcanoes in Mexico sent a bunch of ash our way this year plus the weather folk say we got some from Indonesia too. Very light, gray ash, easy to wash away and the grass likes it.

I live fifty miles from the Gulf of Mexico and we have always gotten lots of rain here in Southeast Texas. I joined the Navy in 1957 at age

17 and had never seen snow. Got to my duty station in January 1958 in Maryland and there was snow everywhere. I still hate the nasty stuff, it ain't natural where I come from. Of course we have a lot of hot days to, that's why every house in this part of Texas has air conditioning.

Wife and I gardened with our parents and started gardening again just a short while after our marriage. Come December 26 we will be married and gardening together for 55 years and we're not tired of either chore yet.

Reply to
George Shirley

Hi George, Married on Dec. 26th. I'll bet you never forget your anniversary day :-) John

Reply to
Bassboat

She always reminds me several days in advance. She's got more stuff than the average woman anyway, I just tell her "here, take this $100 bill and buy yourself something." I never ask for presents for any occasion since I have more stuff than I can use anyway. The kids, grands, etc. usually bring me something to eat or something they made. Best gifts ever.

Reply to
George Shirley

Mine (41 years now) loves it when I forget. She makes sure and spring it on at about 2 hours into the day. She loves absolutely LOVES the "sucking up" I go through after she reminds me.

But, she gives herself away. About five days before our anniversary she gets an insufferable twinkle in her eye and spring in her step. I know something is up.

She is a real keeper. Make up for her not coming with a rifle or a boat for that matter. :-)

Tip: set an alarm in your computer. It will save a lot of sucking up.

Most of the time I'm the one who remembers. I just tell her that this is the day when I was shackled and a lot of women were grieving. She just gives me that look that says "I don't believe a word you say."

Reply to
George Shirley