Persimmon Recommendation for Fort Worth, Tx ?

My wife is wanting to plant a persimmon. She is looking for a variety that is sweet as well as bug and disease resistant. Also we are not sure about planting location, shade, full-sun, etc.

Any suggestions, recommendations, help are appreciated.

Bill W

Reply to
wildbill

Obviously you will prefer a japanese (khaki) persimmon. They are all sweet, and one of the few fruits that does well without spray. It is best adapted to Zone 8 which is your zone. The only doubt I have is whether it will take the

100 degrees summer heat. If it does, you will be all set. I suggest you call a vendor (such as Edible Landscaping) and go with what they think is most heat-resistant.
Reply to
simy1

Finding an area of Zone 8 in the South that doesn't run 100 deg temps (or at least mid to upper 90s for stretches at a time) is quite a trick. Our Japanese Persimmon grows in about 1/2 - 3/4 day sun in heavily mulched sandy soil here in SC. It's only about 7' tall and produced 20 fruit this last fall. We lost maybe 10 more to birds and squirrels. Overall, a pretty good crop. Gary

Reply to
V_coerulea

come to think of it, I have seen several persimmons in places where they get to 100F. So go ahead and get one.

Reply to
simy1