Organic Buying spree.............

I bought:

128 oz. Fish Emulsion = $17.99 1 gal. Hi-Yield Liquid Iron = $16.99 32 oz. Bonide Insecticidal Soap = $15.99 4 lbs. Dipel Dust = $3.99 4 lbs. Kelp Meal = $17.99

I can see why only Co-Op can afford to carry Organic products.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

I need to go get some Medina.

Reply to
Omelet

"Marie Dodge" wrote >I bought:

Phew!!! I was afraid you were going to jump off the edge Marie :(

mind sharing specifics for Kate and the locals?

Reply to
Steve Young

BTW, Kelp Meal is 3 lbs per 100 sq. ft. @ aprox. $12.75 per 3 lbs multiplied by 10 = aprox $127.50 just for Kelp meal for a small veggie garden. That's just for the Kelp. Shocking! That's a lot of money for a 1000 sq. ft garden if you're on a limited income (retired, disabled etc). Looking at some of the figures the man at the Co-Op gave us, it's much much cheaper to buy veggies at the local store or Farmer's Market. Apparently that's why no one buys organic fertilizers and the local stores don't sell it. The blood meal was unaffordable so I picked up ammonium nitrate as per the soil test.

I bought one the one bag of Kelp meal to try with some peppers and tomatoes kept over in the greenhouse this winter and outside next spring. But there is no way we can do this with the larger gardens we plan to have next year.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

Specifics? I don't understand. ?!??! I can't find most of these products (fish emulsion, Dipel) locally anymore. We had to drive to a Farmer's Co-Op about 30 miles from here. They still have a section of organic insecticides and fertilizers. We did have to switch from blood meal for nitrogen to Ammonium Nitrate.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

"Marie Dodge" wrote

Specifics like name, address, telephone and website of the Co-Op if they have one.

Reply to
Steve Young

Hasta-gro is a liquid concentrate. It's supposed to be pretty economical?

Reply to
Omelet

Have you figured out the cost for a 1,500 sq. ft. garden? Nothing economical about it. Humic acid is provided by the free compost we add every year. The fish emulsion is supposed to supply micronutrients.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

Huh? They don't ship so why would you want that information?

Reply to
Marie Dodge

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"for Kate and the locals?" Suppose they could walk in and buy?

Reply to
Steve Young

I'm still just using the old composted soil from where the chicken and emu yards used to be, but your garden is bigger than mine.

Reply to
Omelet

I know what you mean. That's some GOOD stuff. When I kept dairy goats and chickens I always had several piles of manure in different stages of composting and no close neighbors to complain. Steam would be coming off them on cold days. :-)

Reply to
Marie Dodge

Who is "Kate and the locals?" They're free to walk in and by at any Farmer's Co-Op. Just go in and ask for the Organic section.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

"Marie Dodge" wrote

Short memory Marie: Msg-ID: zOadnWIdLM2L-zLVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com

You'll have to figure out how a Nashvil-ite translates into a local yourself.

That's what I was thinking, that's why I'm wondering why you haven't posted the address yet?

Oh I enjoy browsing the store.

Reply to
Steve Young

Seen that too!

I can still shovel emu turds for composting even tho' I just have the one pet bird now...

but emu turds are BIG.

Pauli weighs around 130 lbs.

huggy girl. :-)

Reply to
Omelet

"Omelet" wrote

so were they good eatin?

Reply to
Steve Young

Actually, the wild ones were. I can differentiate.

Taste kinda like Venison... not chicken!

I gave away the two tame pairs.

The tastiest emu were the young ones roasted or smoked whole, skin on at about 16 to 32 weeks. Plenty wild when I let daddy bird set the nest and raise the young.

In emus, the female just lays the eggs. The rooster does all the work.

Reply to
Omelet

I'm Kate and don't know of a local to Nashville TN Farmer's Co-op that carries organic supplies. I'd be interested to know where one is.

Reply to
kate

they sold them. They were popular here about 10 to 15 years ago.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

What does the above mean? Is that her email address?

Whose address? She doesn't have a browser on her PC?

Then give her the address or have her Google the one closest to where she lives.

Reply to
Marie Dodge