Opinion 5 folks on Superweeds from NYT

"American farmers¹ broad use of the weedkiller glyphosphate ? particularly Roundup, which was originally made by Monsanto ? has led to the rapid growth in recent years of herbicide-resistant weeds. To fight them, farmers are being forced to spray fields with more toxic herbicides, pull weeds by hand and return to more labor-intensive methods like regular plowing.

What should farmers do about these superweeds? What does the problem mean for agriculture in the U.S.? Will it temper American agriculture¹s enthusiasm for genetically modified crops that are engineered to survive spraying with Roundup?"

Graphic: Where Weedkiller Won¹t Work below

Reply to
Bill who putters

Another piece of evidence which shows the folly of the post-WWII "Green Revolution". For a healthy planet and healthy food, we need to return to organic farming and Integrated Pest Management.

Reply to
Billy

Goodness, you evoke memories: I hadn't thought about superweed for years. Don't know that I've ever tried any from NY. The last I've had that I'd call "superweed" was in the early '70's, say 1972-1974: Uniformly small sticky olive-colored sinsemilla buds, oozing with oil and sure to be difficult to ignite, securely interleaved and lashed to the length of a sliver of bamboo with monofilament in such a manner that the cognescenti could easily remove a single bud for its enjoyment without disturbing the remainder of the construct. I'll tell you, a pencil-lead line of that stuff and a same-size of pulverized PCP wrapped together in a ZigZag, accompanied by a quart of single-malt and one or two willing high school girls who could undress themselves without help could lead one to some serious comtempletive enlightenment.

Reply to
balvenieman