Olives - Inside Or Out For Winter?

Hi, Everybody,

I have two small olive plants - each about a foot or so high, in 10-litre (2.5 gal) buckets.

It is winter in my part of the world right now. We don't get snow here, but there is often a light frost in the early mornings.

Should I generally keep them indoors overnight? Or is there some value to leaving them outside - maybe acclimating them to the weather or something?

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

Light frosts are no problem. I grew up next to an olive orchard in Corning, California, a town that billed itself as Olive City and has an olive painted on it's water tower. Winter temperatures down to the low

20's Fahrenheit were not unusual. Olives can take temps down to around 15F or -10C. You do realize that your olive plants are going to be fairly big trees in a few years?

Lorenzo L. Love

you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.? Cicero

Reply to
Lorenzo L. Love

In article , "Lorenzo L. Love" writes: |> |> Light frosts are no problem. I grew up next to an olive orchard in |> Corning, California, a town that billed itself as Olive City and has an |> olive painted on it's water tower. Winter temperatures down to the low |> 20's Fahrenheit were not unusual. Olives can take temps down to around |> 15F or -10C. You do realize that your olive plants are going to be |> fairly big trees in a few years?

Not in combination with wet and/or cold days, they can't! He should be OK, but -5 Celcius is as low as you can risk in combination with wet or if the days following frosts don't warm up much.

There are lots of plants hardy to -15 Celcius in the Mediterranean or USA that are hardy to only -5 in the UK, and many parts of New Zealand are more similar to here than there.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren