Muscadine prunning

I drastically pruned my muscadine vine back so that there are only short stumps on the main trunk. It had grown out of control with a mass of small tangled vines. Will it grow back? Is it true that new muscadines only come of new growth?

Bill Orr

Reply to
Bill Orr

Don't worry about it... By mid-summer next year, it'll look like you've never pruned it. ;-) Mine are taking over both mine and my neighbors yard! I pruned mine back last summer when they tried to take over the lawn.

You have probably done very little harm.

Reply to
Katra

Find out how to prune grapes/muscadines the right way. What you did is OK, but you will increase your crop size if you prune them right.

You don't say where your are, but when we lived in AR the county extension had printed literature to give out that showed you how. I also visited a man who grew them in his yard and he taught me a lot from his patch.

What I would do now with your plants, is put up a line on fence posts over your plant (s) now (unless you already have one), and in the spring train one main sprout to go to the top of your fence ( approx 6 ft high). Then start it growing both directions on the fence. I would also have a second fence about 3 ft high, and start sprouts each direction at that level. Let each of these 4 sprouts grow to about 6 ft long each, then prune off the ends.

Send me your e-mail address and I will send your my instructions on planting and caring for muscadines

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

** Thanks, Dwayne. I never turn down good advice. My email address is below. I live on the Gulf Coast.

Bill Orr snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
Bill Orr