Indoor aphid control?

I brought some sweet pepper plants inside for the winter, and they have quite a zillion aphids enjoying themselves right now. I hosed and doused with soapy water. I'm going to try dabbing leaves/stems with diluted rubbing alcohol.

Can you suggest any home remedies?

David

Reply to
David Auker

What you are doing will eventually work. I actually put a contaminated houseplant under the shower (you need a phone shower, so you can douse the underside of leaves) and that has been sufficient in both cases I have had aphids inside. The aphids themselves go down the drain with the water.

Reply to
simy1

When last we left our heros, on Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:14:19 -0800, "David Auker" scribbled:

Invite a ladybug in for the winter. Don't laugh, I did that last year when a hibiscus I was over wintering was covered in aphids. Every now and again she'd wander out of the plant room and I'd just take her back. One day in March I found her crawling across the screen door talking trash with another ladybug on the outside, so I opened the door and wished her well.

It was fun.

Pam

Reply to
Pam Rudd

Aphid Spray:

I heated water, with about 6 small, very hot peppers, dried and broken. Sprayed this on my indoor (sweet) pepper plants infested with aphids. Seems to be deterring them! (I just have to be careful where I touch myself, lest I find I've gotten some of this on my hands!)

I think it will be an on-going battle. -David

Reply to
David Auker

Don't forget that there are two types of ladybugs (at least there are two types here in Australia). One type eats aphids, so it is said, while the other type eats the leaves. Just make sure you get the appropriate one! Most of the ones I find on plants seem to be the latter, greedily munching holes in pumpkin plants and potato leaves. I squash them under foot.

To the OP: dilute methylated spirits with water in a ratio 1:3 and spray it onto your leaves, especially the new leaf tips. The aphids will die immediately, and they die happy. I have not tried it on peppers, but have sprayed many plants with no adverse effects, though if you have any reservations, test it on one plant first, and wait a day or two before spraying the others.

Reply to
John Savage

Thanks, John! I'm not experienced w/methylated spirits, or where to get it, but if I don't succeed with my hot pepper/rubbing alcohol spray (either killing the aphids OR myself), I'll go shopping!

David

Reply to
David Auker

Methylated spirits is denatured alcohol, i.e., about 98% ethyl alcohol Sounds like your rubbing alcohol might have similar effect on the bugs.

At a pinch you could always try substituting cheap vodka, I suppose. :-)

Reply to
John Savage