How do I earwigs at bay?

How do I keep earwigs from infesting my garden? They aremost noticeable in the lettuce and spinach. Everything is in raised beds and I'm in Spokane, WA (zone 5?).

TIA

Reply to
Bob Clark

Sounds like my garden - I'm in Spokane Valley (under protest). My earwig (and slug) supply went way down after I replaced the bark paths between my beds with lava rock. With the black garden cloth underneath.

It doesn't get rid of them, but it helps.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I have recently tried diatomaceous earth to control earwigs and slugs

- can't give you any results yet as it is too early but it is said to be effective against earwigs, slugs, and a number of other bugs. Even though I don't see it as a precaution in the application instructions

- I'd recommend wearing a dust mask if you do use it (we used it in the lab for cleaning high tech equipment and always did because the airborne particles can irritate your airways).

Reply to
Ally

Too right about the fine particles, mask is always best. I've had great luck eliminating earwigs with D E.    Keeps them off hostas as well as vegetables. Sprinkle a light layer on the soil when no rain is expected. Alternately  -  put it between layers of newspaper (they love wet paper) and when they crawl in to hide from the light, they get coated.

Ma

Reply to
Blues Ma

Yet another alternative: put out the wet newspaper with no pesticide. They crawl in, you scoop up the newspaper and throw away.

Reply to
Claire Petersky