Hot caps

I have heard hot caps for tomatoes are very useful. I am a bit confused though, do I leave them an all of the time? Just at night? Please advise.

Reply to
Jackee

When I was a child growing up in eastern Washington, hot caps were quite common. Because there were fields full of them, I seriously doubt they were removed and replaced. They were most likely left on until the plant "outgrew" them; I don't recall ever seeing anyone remove them.

It will be interesting what others have to say.

In past years, for early planted tomatoes in my garden I've placed large plastic bags (heavy weight purchased at a commercial cleaning supply store) over the tomato cages at night and removed them during the day, replacing them late afternoon for that evening. This year, because there was space below the cage under the plastic bag (cage taller than the bag) in past years, I chose to cut the end out of the bags and placed them over the cages so they actually touch the ground, held in place with clothespins. It's really difficult to know how this year worked compared with past years since I planted later this year. Ideally, the bag would have touched the ground enough to be secure while still in tact for a "roof" over the plant to help hold in heat. I suspect the grass mulch around the plants has done more than the plastic bags, either year.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

I thought you would have gotten more responses by now.

I've never used hot caps, but I would be inclined to remove them during the day, especially if it is hot. DaveH

Reply to
DaveH

I actually picked the brain of my mom an old time gardener. Here's the scoop, you put the hot caps and leave them on. Watering around them will be sufficient, she said to look at the plants just to make sure though. She leaves them on even until they are tall, cutting the top of the cap and letting the plant grow on thru for a while longer. Guess I will give it a try! She always has a great crop of tomatoes.

Reply to
Jackee

Here in Wisconsin we leave them on day and night.

Barb

Reply to
CyberCafe

Hot caps are ventilated. They are fine to leave on 24/7 until the temps warm up.

I pulled mine after the danger of frost was past and stored them for use next year.

Bill

Reply to
Bill