Growing Rhubarb

I would really like to grow some rhubarb, but I live So. Calif. and all the nurseries tell me it won't do well here because of the heat.

I live about 2 miles from the ocean and don't get the heat that most areas do. I'm wondering if anyone is successful growing it around here or if anyone has any suggestions about varieties or methods that might work.

Thanks

Scott Peterson

I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.

Reply to
Scott Peterson

Hi All,

try to grow it in the shade. I had to move rhubarb into the shade due to shortage of space, and I still get rhubarb off it, not as much as when it was in full sun, but you are a lot hotter than the U.K. so you may fair better, just a thought.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
R M. Watkin

Not a problem. I've got a good spot against a north-facing wall that gets lots of shade. I'll just have to get some and give it a try.... Scott Peterson

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Reply to
Scott Peterson

I've grown huge rhubarb, but I'm in Australia and know nothing about your climate. But if you want to try, I can say that it can withstand heat that leaves it lying flat on the ground in the heat of the day, and it recovers as the day cools. You will need plenty of water, and lots of mulch and manure. If I were you I'd give it a try, but erect good shadecloth arranged and angled so that it casts a shadow over the plants and the wide expanse of their leaves during the hours midday to 4 pm in Summer. Are their any local gardeners who could advise you of the best types for your climate? They might even let you break up a few of their established plants to get you started. Remember, lots of manure.

Some varieties continue to grow, albeit at reduced vigour, during the winter in areas that experience a dozen or so frosts, while other types disappear totally underground in the same conditions.

Reply to
John Savage